Schwarz named ECHL Goaltender of the Week
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Marek Schwarz, since re-assigned to Peoria by the St. Louis Blues, has been named ECHL Goaltender of the Week for winning all four of his starts last week for Alaska.
The 21-year-old Schwarz left Anchorage yesterday after having run the table for the Aces, going 6-0 with a 2.08 GAA and a .924 save percentage after being re-assigned on February 16. He went 4-0 last week (2.12 GAA, .919 save pct.), beating Fresno 4-3 last Tuesday with 27 saves and stopping 12 of 18 shootout attempts in winning all three games against Las Vegas over the weekend at Sullivan Arena. Schwarz, the 17th overall selection in the 2004 NHL Draft, last played for St. Louis on January 16 and has gone 9-10-2 with a 2.57 GAA and a .891 save percentage for the Rivermen this season after earning a trip to the AHL All-Star Game last year.
Derek Gustafson (11-15-4, 3.68 GAA, .880 save pct.) practiced with the Aces today after serving as a back-up for the last two weeks in Peoria and will accompany the team on its trip to Phoenix, where he will team with Mike Brown, who helped trigger Alaska's current winning streak with 24 saves in a 5-3 victory over Idaho February 10. Brown has gone 2-1 in four starts with the Aces after earlier stints in Providence (6-2) and Johnstown (0-6).
Alaska, winners of seven in a row and a season-high nine games over .500 at 28-19-5 overall, travels tomorrow to Phoenix, where the Roadrunners also be heading after a game in Fresno tonight. Phoenix remains winless in its last five games after a 4-1 loss in Stockton Monday but took three of four points in Anchorage the last time the two clubs squared off in early January. The three-game series gets underway Thursday and Friday at 5:11 p.m. AT, with Sunday's finale scheduled for 11:00 a.m. AT. All regular season games are broadcast live on AM 750 KFQD, with coverage beginning 15 minutes prior to face-off.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 26, 2008
- Falcons Win 30th of Season with 5-2 Victory over Phoenix - Fresno Falcons
- Inferno dispatch Sea Wolves 6-4 - Columbia Inferno
- Inferno's Hot Third Scorches Sea Wolves - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Marc Cavosie Loaned To Albany - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Score Four Unanswered Goals to Beat Augusta 5-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 60 minutes eludes Lynx again in 5-2 loss on Tuesday - Augusta Lynx
- Condors serving help for the community - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Concludes MidSeason Board of Governors Meeting - ECHL
- Schwarz named ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Alaska Aces
- Bakersfield's Robinson Fined - ECHL
- Stockton's Beeman Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- Victoria's Wade Suspended Two Games - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Falcons Add Carbery To Mix - Fresno Falcons
- Wolf Pack Transactions - Charlotte Checkers
- Wranglers To Shave Heads For Charity On March 8 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Alaska's Schwarz Named Rbk Hockey Goalie Of The Week - ECHL
- Aubin Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cincinnati's Aubin Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- RoadRunners Land Veteran Dusty Jamieson - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Fans Flock to Beef 'O' Brady's for First Tip-A-Pilot - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Rays Host Lynx Tonight at 7:05pm - South Carolina Stingrays
- Let It Be... - Reading Royals
- Jackals Journal - Elmira Jackals
- Bakersfield Head Coach Raymond Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Checkers Trade Jamieson To Phoenix - Charlotte Checkers
- Balanced attack, Fisher's 35 saves mark third straight Thunder win - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Storms Past RoadRunners 4-1 - Phoenix RoadRunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.