South Bay Falters Late in Loss to Clippers
ONTARIO, CA - The South Bay Lakers were bested in Ontario as they lost to the Agua Caliente Clippers, 123-115, on Tuesday night. Scott Machado did his best to power the Lakers (11-18) to the win with 28 points and seven assists off the bench. However, a 23-point, 10-rebound double-double from Angel Delgado led the Clippers (14-13) to the win.
The Lakers fell behind early, trailing 31-23 after the first quarter, despite seven points in the opening frame from Johnathan Williams. Delgado pitched in nine points in the first for the Clippers. The Clippers remained ahead at the half, 60-53, but Justin Harper came alive in the second quarter for South Bay. Harper scored 11 points in the second period alone, going into the half with 17 points on a perfect 4-4 from beyond the arc.
South Bay cut the deficit to two points after three, 84-82, as Machado tallied seven points off the bench. Machado scored 15 points in the fourth quarter alone, but the Clippers scored 41 points in the final 12 minutes, including 10 points from Anfernee Simons in his G League debut, to grab the victory.
Delgado's double-double and 21 points from Jamel Artis led the Clippers and Simons scored 22 points off the bench. Manu Lecomte finished with 19 points and seven assists while Desi Rodriguez tallied 12 points and 11 rebounds off the bench. J.J. Avila also scored in double figures with 13 points.
Machado led the team in scoring for the second consecutive game and Williams grabbed his 12th double-double with 19 points and 11 rebounds. Harper ended the game with 19 points as Joel Berry II (14 points) and Alex Caruso (11 points) also reached double digits for the Lakers.
South Bay returns home to host the Iowa Wolves on Friday, January 25 at 7:00pm PT from the UCLA Health Training Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 23, 2019
- Blue Coats Open 76ers Fieldhouse Before Sellout Crowd - Delaware Blue Coats
- Magic Defeat Charge 116-104 for Fifth Consecutive Victory - Lakeland Magic
- Windy City Falls to Wisconsin, 118-109 - Windy City Bulls
- Shorthanded Mad Ants Fall at Erie - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Keene & Casey's Heroics Play Spoiler in 76ers Fieldhouse Opening - Memphis Hustle
- BayHawks Stomp Mad Ants - Erie BayHawks
- Charge Downed in Lakeland - Canton Charge
- Northern Arizona Suns Acquire Shawndre Jones - Northern Arizona Suns
- Stars to Host "World Record Night" on January 25 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Austin Spurs to Host Go Red Night Sponsored by Texas Mutual on February 1 - Austin Spurs
- Delaware Blue Coats' Pelle Suspended - G League
- Clippers Earn Hard-Fought Victory over Lakers - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Stockton Kings Fall to Rio Grande Vipers, 121-114 - Stockton Kings
- Vipers Extend Win Streak to Four with Win over Kings - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay Falters Late in Loss to Clippers - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.