BayHawks Stomp Mad Ants
Erie, PA - The Erie BayHawks (15-12) NBA G League affiliate of the Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club, took down the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (14-14) tonight, 135-123, inside Erie Insurance Arena.
Atlanta Hawks two-way guard Jaylen Adams poured in a game-high 40 points on 14-22 (.636) shooting from the floor, including a 7-12 (.583) clip from three-point territory, seven rebounds, nine assists and two steals in 42.0 minutes of play. Terrence Jones notched a double-double in tonight's win, tallying 30 points on 11-14 (.786) shooting from the floor, a team-high 10 rebounds and five assists in 30.3 minutes as a reserve. John Gillon dished out a game-high 11 assists, to go along with 10 points, two rebounds and one block in 37.3 minutes of play.
The BayHawks recorded 30 assists in tonight's contest, marking the seventh time this season they've recorded 30+ assists in a single game. Erie scored its 135 points on 51-93 (.548) shooting from the floor. The BayHawks have eclipsed the century mark in every game this season, including seven games of scoring at least 130 points.
The Mad Ants were led by Rob Gray's 35 points. Gray recorded his team-high 35 points on 15-28 (.536) shooting from the field, to go along with five rebounds, four assists and one block in 42.0 minutes coming off of the bench. Edmond Sumner also scored 30+, pouring in 33 points on 11-19 (.579) shooting, including a 5-8 (.625) clip from deep, two rebounds and five assists in 29.4 minutes. Omari Johnson and Ike Anigbogu both pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds, to go along with 19 and 10 points, respectively.
Fort Wayne held advantages in rebounds (50-41), second chance points (23-6) and fast break points (15-13).
The first quarter was back-and-forth, as there were five ties and two lead changes. After the first 12 minutes of action, the Mad Ants held a two-point, 31-29, lead. The game was knotted up at 41 with 7:01 left to play in the second quarter. Erie finished the first half on a 24-13 run, notching a 65-54 halftime advantage.
The BayHawks opened up the second half scoring 16 unanswered points, on their way to a 27-point, 81-54, lead off of a Terrence Jones layup at the 7:52 mark of the third quarter. Erie maintained its double-digit lead, holding a 106-87 advantage heading into the fourth quarter. The Mad Ants put together a 36-point fourth quarter, but it wasn't enough, as Erie walked away with a 135-123 victory.
The BayHawks will play their next four games inside the friendly confines of Erie Insurance Arena. Erie will face off against the Wisconsin Herd on Sunday, Jan. 27 at 3 p.m. Sunday's game will be aired nationally on NBA TV. Tickets can be purchased online at eriebayhawks.com or at the Erie Insurance Arena box office.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 23, 2019
- Blue Coats Open 76ers Fieldhouse Before Sellout Crowd - Delaware Blue Coats
- Magic Defeat Charge 116-104 for Fifth Consecutive Victory - Lakeland Magic
- Windy City Falls to Wisconsin, 118-109 - Windy City Bulls
- Shorthanded Mad Ants Fall at Erie - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Keene & Casey's Heroics Play Spoiler in 76ers Fieldhouse Opening - Memphis Hustle
- BayHawks Stomp Mad Ants - Erie BayHawks
- Charge Downed in Lakeland - Canton Charge
- Northern Arizona Suns Acquire Shawndre Jones - Northern Arizona Suns
- Stars to Host "World Record Night" on January 25 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Austin Spurs to Host Go Red Night Sponsored by Texas Mutual on February 1 - Austin Spurs
- Delaware Blue Coats' Pelle Suspended - G League
- Clippers Earn Hard-Fought Victory over Lakers - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Stockton Kings Fall to Rio Grande Vipers, 121-114 - Stockton Kings
- Vipers Extend Win Streak to Four with Win over Kings - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay Falters Late in Loss to Clippers - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.