South Bay Corrals Road Woes in Big Win over Austin
CEDAR PARK, TX - The South Bay Lakers started their latest road trip with a bang as they beat the Austin Spurs, 122-101, on Friday night. David Stockton led six Lakers in double figures with 20 points as South Bay (4-3) ended a two-game road skid. Quinndary Weatherspoon led the Spurs (4-5) with 17 points.
Behind six points apiece from Devontae Cacok, Zach Norvell Jr. and Stockton, South Bay jumped out to an early 32-26 lead after one. The Lakers shot a season-best 68.4 percent in the opening frame as they produced their highest first quarter point total of the year. South Bay extended their lead going into the half, 58-46, as Cacok (12 points) and Stockton (10 points) reached double figures.
The road team inched further ahead in the third, taking a 93-75 lead into the final period. Stockton tallied seven points in the third and Andre Ingram added a couple of threes toward his six points. South Bay held off the Spurs behind eight fourth-quarter points from Kostas Antetokounmpo to guarantee the victory.
Weatherspoon paced the Spurs with 17 points and Luka Samanic tallied a 10-point, 14-rebound double-double. Keldon Johnson scored 15 points and Dedric Lawson also reached double figures with 13 points and six rebounds.
Stockton added seven assists and four rebounds to go with his game-high 20 points and Cacok led the second unit with 18 points, eight rebounds and three steals. Gary Payton II finished the night with 17 points, nine rebounds, six assists, two steals and two blocks, while Antetokounmpo tallied 12 points and eight rebounds in the win. Norvell Jr. (13 points) and Ingram (11 points) also tallied double figures for South Bay.
South Bay finishes the second leg of their road back-to-back when they visit the Rio Grande Valley Vipers tomorrow night at 5:30pm from the Bert Ogden Arena in Edinburg, TX.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 29, 2019
- Austin Spurs Fall to South Bay Lakers 122-101 - Austin Spurs
- Legends Get the Final Say in Fort Wayne - Texas Legends
- Herd Collects Eighth Straight Victory, Beats Erie 133-115 - Wisconsin Herd
- South Bay Corrals Road Woes in Big Win over Austin - South Bay Lakers
- Macon, Alexander Lead Skyforce Past Suns - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- 905 Knock off Nets - Raptors 905
- Blue Coats Dominate Boards, Down Knicks by 17 - Delaware Blue Coats
- Blame the Turkey: Suns Can't Overcome Slow Start at Skyforce - Northern Arizona Suns
- Black Friday: Charge Fall in College Park - Canton Charge
- Texas Rallies on the Road to Defeat Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Early Second Half Momentum Gets Blue Coats by Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Swarm Beat Go-Go in First Game of Weekend Series - Capital City Go-Go
- Windy City Defeats Maine in Double Overtime, 118-117 - Windy City Bulls
- Kings Assign Wenyen Gabriel and Caleb Swanigan to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire Yannis Morin - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Phoenix Suns Assign Ty Jerome to NAZ Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Erie BayHawks Complete Trade with Grand Rapids Drive - Erie BayHawks
- Hornets Assign Cody Martin to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.