Windy City Defeats Maine in Double Overtime, 118-117
The Windy City Bulls, presented by BMO Harris Bank, the official G League affiliate of the Chicago Bulls, pulled out a double overtime victory over the Maine Red Claws 118-117 on Friday night.
It was a tightly contested game in the first quarter with both teams shooting well from the outset. While Maine started off strong from the field at .579, Windy City found the range from outside knocking down .545 from three, including three-for-four by Milton Doyle.
With Doyle generating early offense for the Bulls, former Windy City Bulls player Kaiser Gates led the way for the Red Claws in his return to Sears Centre Arena, converting 5-for-9 shots on his way to 12 first quarter points.
From the end of the first quarter through the middle of the second, Denver Nuggets Two-way player P.J. Dozier sparked Windy City on a 23-9 run, notching 15 second quarter points, four rebounds, and four assists on 6-for-10 shooting. The Bulls led by as many as 18, with the Red Claws trimming the lead to 10 at halftime, 69-59, behind 16 points by Yante Maten and 13 from Trey Davis.
Dozier and Doyle were the leading point-scorers for Windy City at half, with 17 and 15 respectively, and combining to hit on 6-for-12 from three. Chicago Bulls Two-way player Adam Mokoka also chipped in nine points, six assists and four rebounds. Windy City as a team knocked down 15-for-26 from beyond the arc in the first 24 minutes.
Davis controlled the pace for Maine to open the second half on his way to 7 points and two assists in the quarter. John Bohannon controlled things in the paint on his way to 17 total rebounds in the game as the Red Claws outscored the Bulls 25-13 in the third, tightening up on defense to take an 84-82 lead.
The Maine run continued well into the final frame, growing the lead to as many as ten as Windy City fought to convert on the offensive end.
Despite large Red Claw advantages in total rebounds (66-41), points in the paint (56-38), and second chance points (28-2), the Bulls found themselves with an opportunity to win the game late, tying the score at 107 on two Justin Simon free-throws with 48 seconds remaining.
Davis missed a floater in the lane at the end of regulation for Maine as the game headed in to overtime locked at 107.
Dozier led the two-minute G League overtime period off with a three from the shoulder. Gates was then fouled on three-pointer and dropped in all three foul shots.
The Bulls possessed the ball with 26 seconds remaining in the first overtime, but a contested three-pointer by Doyle fell off the mark pushing the game to double overtime at 110-110.
A lively Sears Centre crowd saw Dozier and Doyle combined for eight points in the second overtime to pull out the win for Windy City.
Dozier finished the game with 34 points, 11 rebounds and five assists in nearly 45 minutes of play. Doyle ended out with 27 points, six assists and two steals in over 36 minutes. Mokoka finished with a near double-double contributing nine points and ten rebounds, to go along with seven assists.
Maten and Gates led the scoring for Maine with 29 and 26 respectively, with the two grabbing 16 rebounds as well.
Windy City (5-4) will have a couple days off before heading out west to face the Agua Caliente Clippers next Thursday.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 29, 2019
- Austin Spurs Fall to South Bay Lakers 122-101 - Austin Spurs
- Legends Get the Final Say in Fort Wayne - Texas Legends
- Herd Collects Eighth Straight Victory, Beats Erie 133-115 - Wisconsin Herd
- South Bay Corrals Road Woes in Big Win over Austin - South Bay Lakers
- Macon, Alexander Lead Skyforce Past Suns - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- 905 Knock off Nets - Raptors 905
- Blue Coats Dominate Boards, Down Knicks by 17 - Delaware Blue Coats
- Blame the Turkey: Suns Can't Overcome Slow Start at Skyforce - Northern Arizona Suns
- Black Friday: Charge Fall in College Park - Canton Charge
- Texas Rallies on the Road to Defeat Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Early Second Half Momentum Gets Blue Coats by Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Swarm Beat Go-Go in First Game of Weekend Series - Capital City Go-Go
- Windy City Defeats Maine in Double Overtime, 118-117 - Windy City Bulls
- Kings Assign Wenyen Gabriel and Caleb Swanigan to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire Yannis Morin - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Phoenix Suns Assign Ty Jerome to NAZ Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Erie BayHawks Complete Trade with Grand Rapids Drive - Erie BayHawks
- Hornets Assign Cody Martin to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City Bulls Stories
- Windy City Bulls Awarded the 2019-20 NBA G League's Promotion of the Year
- NBA G League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Windy City Bulls Virtual 5K to Benefit the Barn Senior Program of Schaumburg
- Windy City Bulls Player-Designed Shirt Sales to Benefit Local Food Pantry
- Mokoka Leads Windy City to Tough Win over Maine, 120-112