Solar Bears Can't Hold off Offensive Surge from Everblades
ESTERO, Fla. - Despite another 30-plus save performance out of Clint Windsor, the Orlando Solar Bears (3-6-1-1) fell to the Florida Everblades (8-4-0-0) in a 5-1 decision on Wednesday night at Hertz Arena.
Cody Donaghey scored Orlando's lone goal of the game on the power play at 17:13 of the first period when he received a pass from Mike Monfredo and fired a wrist shot from above the left circle past Ken Appleby.
Although the Solar Bears carried a 1-0 lead into the intermission, the Everblades orchestrated a turnaround in the second period, as Blake Wienecki (3:40), Michael Downing (9:47) and Michael Huntebrinker (17:40) scored to put Florida ahead by a 3-1 score.
Florida tacked on two more goal in the final frame, as Logan Roe (18:29) buried an empty-net chance, and Cam Maclise (18:52) capped the scoring for the hosts.
Windsor took the loss with 32 saves on 36 shots against; Appleby got the victory for Florida with 23 stops on 24 shots against.
1) Michael Downing - FLA
2) Alex Tonge - FLA
3) Ken Appleby - FLA
Windsor turned in his fourth consecutive game of 32 or more saves in the loss; he currently ranks sixth in the ECHL with a save percentage of .923
Since Oct. 25, Orlando has gone eight straight games without surrendering a power-play goal, going 30-for-30 on the penalty kill; The Solar Bears lead the ECHL on the season with a PK rate of 91.5%
Michael Brodzinski led Orlando with six shots on goal
The Solar Bears return home to host the Everblades on Thursday, Nov. 14 for 90s Night and Thirsty Thursday, presented by Coors Light. Fans can take advantage of $5 domestic draft beers during the game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 14, 2019
- Brampton Derails Worcester with Big Third Period - Brampton Beast
- Solar Bears Drop 4-1 Decision to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milan Wins It in Overtime for Cyclones Following Defensive Battle - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Sunny Side: 'Blades Topple Solar Bears for Fifth Straight Win in Series - Florida Everblades
- Railers Special Teams Fail in 5-2 Loss to the Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Choose Your Favourite Wiener for a Chance to Win at Sunday's Home Game - Brampton Beast
- Oilers Acquire Defenseman Jake Bolton from Orlando in Exchange for Eric Drapluk - Tulsa Oilers
- Parkkonen Loaned to AHL Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Solar Bears Acquire Eric Drapluk in Three-Team Trade - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 14 - ECHL
- F Matthew Gaudreau Recalled by Stockton - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Malatesta Lifts Glads to Midday Win over Jax - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Allen Americans - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mariners Bring Back Tschantz and Furgele - Maine Mariners
- Stanley Cup Coming to 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Stanley Cup Coming to 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Doors Open 5:30 PM Saturday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Shane Conacher Steps Away from Hockey - Adirondack Thunder
- Late Penalty Dooms Rush against Thunder - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Can't Hold off Offensive Surge from Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fierce Finish:Five Unanswered Goals Push 'Blades Past Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Greenville Slides Past Norfolk Behind Bajkov's Overtime Goal - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.