Greenville Slides Past Norfolk Behind Bajkov's Overtime Goal
Norfolk, VA - Patrick Bajkov scored at the 3:27 of the overtime period on Wednesday night, as the Greenville Swamp Rabbits edged out the Norfolk Admirals, 4-3, at Scope Arena. Roman Ammirato had two assists against his former club and Josh Holmstrom added a goal and assist in the loss.
Greenville opened the scoring with a tally from Spencer Smallman. Luke Ripley fed Smallman as he skated into the Norfolk zone on the left side. He then skated in-between the circles and fired a wristshot over the blocker of Brandon Halverson to give Greenville a 1-0 lead.
The Swamp Rabbits would strike just seconds later after the Admirals were unable to clear the puck out of their own zone and Matt Marcinew fired a shot in the low slot past the glove of Halverson to give Greenville a 2-0 lead.
Norfolk cut into the Swamp Rabbits lead to one with a power-play goal from J.C. Campagna. The Admirals won the face-off and started the cycle play in the Greenville end with Ammirato in the right circle. Ammirato sent the puck to the center-point for Johnny Coughlin and found Campagna in the left circle where he wristed a shot past Greenville goaltender, Ryan Bednard, on the glove side to cut the Greenville lead to one.
The Admirals tied the game with a goal from Sebastian Vidmar, his first professional goal. Norfolk skated out of their own end on a 4-on-2. Ammirato dropped a pass into the the right circle for Samuel Thibault. Thibault shot the puck on net which was deflected by Vidmar into the midsection of Bednard. The puck came loose and went through the legs of Bednard to tie the game at two.
Greenville retook their lead with a power-play goal from Rodrigo Abols. Adam Rockwood passed the puck to the center point for Patrick Bajkov, who found Abols in the left circle, who then fired off a shot that trickled through the pads of Halverson to give Greenville a 3-2 lead.
The Admirals would tie the game just under a minute into the third period. Norfolk was able to keep the puck in and start the cycle play on the power play with Ammirato who fed Shawn McBride below the goal line. McBride slid a pass to Josh Holmstrom in the low slot and roofed a shot past the glove of Bednard to tie the game at three.
Both teams would have chances late in the third, but the game would go into overtime.
In the extra frame, Bajkov for Greenville took the puck from the neutral-zone and skated into the Norfolk zone on the right side where he fired a shot over the blocker of Halverson to give the Swamp Rabbits a 4-3 win.
Halverson made 25 saves on 29 shots and takes the loss for Norfolk, while Bednard made 28 saves on 31 shots and picked up the win for Greenville.
The two sides will meet again on Friday Night at Norfolk Scope. Puck drop is set for 7:30pm. It will be Military Appreciation Night at the arena, with tickets still available at the Scope Box Office or visit norfolkadmirals.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 14, 2019
- Brampton Derails Worcester with Big Third Period - Brampton Beast
- Solar Bears Drop 4-1 Decision to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Milan Wins It in Overtime for Cyclones Following Defensive Battle - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Sunny Side: 'Blades Topple Solar Bears for Fifth Straight Win in Series - Florida Everblades
- Railers Special Teams Fail in 5-2 Loss to the Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Choose Your Favourite Wiener for a Chance to Win at Sunday's Home Game - Brampton Beast
- Oilers Acquire Defenseman Jake Bolton from Orlando in Exchange for Eric Drapluk - Tulsa Oilers
- Parkkonen Loaned to AHL Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Solar Bears Acquire Eric Drapluk in Three-Team Trade - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 14 - ECHL
- F Matthew Gaudreau Recalled by Stockton - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Malatesta Lifts Glads to Midday Win over Jax - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Allen Americans - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mariners Bring Back Tschantz and Furgele - Maine Mariners
- Stanley Cup Coming to 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Stanley Cup Coming to 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Doors Open 5:30 PM Saturday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Shane Conacher Steps Away from Hockey - Adirondack Thunder
- Late Penalty Dooms Rush against Thunder - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Can't Hold off Offensive Surge from Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fierce Finish:Five Unanswered Goals Push 'Blades Past Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Greenville Slides Past Norfolk Behind Bajkov's Overtime Goal - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Ross Scores in Debut as Stingrays Defeat the Ads, 4-1
- Admirals Acquire Taylor Ross and Brycen Martin from Fort Wayne
- Admirals Drop Final Matchup of Season against Greenville
- Tucson Roadrunners Send Brandon Halverson Back to Norfolk
- Admirals Comeback Bid Falls Just Short in Ammirato's Return