Silvertips Stay on Track with Eighth Straight Win
EVERETT, Wash. - Dawson Butt scored the eventual game winner and Braden Holt made 27 saves as the Everett Silvertips defeated the Prince George Cougars 4-2 in front of 4,973 fans at Angel of the Winds Arena on Friday in WHL action.
The Tips extended their season best home winning streak to eight straight games as Michal Gut, Ethan Regnier, and Kasper Puutio (empty netter) also scored, and the Tips finished the season series at 2-2 against Prince George.
UP NEXT: Everett finishes off their five-game homestead with a visit from the Vancouver Giants for Star Wars night on Saturday, February 22nd at 7:05 p.m. (KRKO / WHL Live). In partnership with Make A Wish Alaska and Washington,in the link below, a portion of your ticket ($5) will be donated to Make A Wish.
The first period was even until the 18:03 mark when Michal Gut's power play goal put Everett ahead 1-0. It was Gut's 11th goal of the season and his second in as many games. Making his first start since January 4th, also against the Prince George Cougars, Silvertips netminder Braden Holt made fourteen saves in the opening period to give the Silvertips a 1-0 lead after twenty minutes.
It was more of the same in the second period in terms of the pace of play. Everett outshot Prince George 16-10 in the middle frame but it was the Cougars who found the back of the net, thanks to Josh Maser putting home his 23rd of the season past Braden Holt. Thanks to Maser, it was all knotted up at one apiece after forty minutes of play as it was the first time Everett did not have a lead after the second period since February 9th.
Everett came out firing in the third period as Ethan Rginer put home his 11th goal of the season just eight seconds into the period to make it a 2-1 lead, one second shy of tying the Tips franchise record for fastest goal to begin a period.
Five minutes after Reginer's goal, Cougars forward Vladislav Mikalchuk scored on the power play and it was back even at two. Less than a minute after Mikalchuk's goal, Dawson Butt scored the game-winning goal off a Gage Goncalves rebound and Everett was in front 3-2. Kasper Puutio would provide the insurance as he scored an empty-net goal with less than two minutes to play as Everett defeated Prince George 4-2.
The first star of the night went to Dawson Butt for scoring the game-winning goal. Butt now has goals in three straight games and has five points in his last four games. Cougars forward Josh Masher earned the second star of the night with a goal and assist. Rounding out the three stars was Silvertips netminder Braden Holt, who finished with 27 saves on 29 shots. In six games played this season, Holt has a record of 2-2 with a 2.46 GAA and .916 save percentage.
GAME NOTES: Scratched from tonight's game were Hunter Campbell, Gianni Fairbrother, and Aidan Sutter... This was Braden Holt's first win since he beat Prince George on January 4th... In two homes game against Prince George this season, Dawson Butt has three goals, which is the most against any team.
1. Dawson Butt - EVT
2. Josh Maser - PG
3. Braden Holt - EVT
2019-20 SCHEDULE, TICKET INFORMATION
The Tips full regular season schedule offers ticket plans for as little as $215 total per seat, available at www.everettsilvertips.com/season or by calling (425) 252-5100 during normal business hours. Seven game packs are now on sale.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Chiefs' Road Streak Reaches Four in 2-1 Win at Tigers - Spokane Chiefs
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Williams Buries Last Minute OT Winner to Lift Oil Kings to 2-1 Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Smoke Broncos for 30th Win of the Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Special Teams Spark Raiders to Win in Brandon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Drop Tough Road Game in Saskatoon - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Fall in OT Duel to Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: Saturday, February 22 vs Swift Current - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Hub: February 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 57 vs Spokane - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, February 22 at Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Dump Oil Kings Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Busy Weekend at Home to Edmonton Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Streaking in Wrong Direction - Prince George Cougars
- Royals Fall Short to Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Silvertips Stay on Track with Eighth Straight Win - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Tripped by Giants Rally - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Defeated 4-2 in Medicine Hat - Tri-City Americans
- Portland Becomes the First WHL Club to Reach 40 Wins - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets win in Mallette's debut - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Clinch Playoff Spot by Defeating Americans 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Michal Gut Named to Czech Republic World Junior Selection Camp
- Dustin Wolf Named to Team USA World Junior Preliminary Camp
- Gage Goncalves Named to Hockey Canada's World Junior Selection Camp
- Olen Zellweger Named to NHL Central Scouting's Players to Watch List for 2021 NHL Draft
- Silvertips Loan Five Players to Start 2020-21 Season