Broncos Drop Tough Road Game in Saskatoon
SASKATOON, SK - The Swift Current Broncos (10-42-1-3) opened the scoring 36 seconds into their game against the Saskatoon Blades (30-22-2-3) Saturday night, but the Blades took over after the goal and cruised to an 8-1 win.
The Broncos jumped out to an early 1-0 lead as Matej Toman was the recipient of a bounce off a Saskatoon skate in the slot before firing his sixth of the season over Nolan Meier's blocker just 36 seconds into the game.
The Blades didn't waste much time answering back as Chase Wouters tied the game off the rush at the 4:04 mark of the period.
After the goal, Saskatoon continued to pour on the pressure and would add a pair of goals before the period was up, with Alex Morozoff and Nolan Kneen pushing the Blades lead to 3-1 after the opening 20, with the shots 19-6.
The pressure continued from Saskatoon in the second period as Martin Fasko-Rudas scored his first of two on the night while four-on-four, redirecting a centring pass from Rhett Rhinehart 5:55 into the period.
Wouters added his second of the game while the Blades were on a five-minute power play and Saskatoon carried a 5-1 lead into the third period.
Saskatoon picked up three more goals in the third off the sticks of Tristen Robins, Caiden Daley and Fasko-Rudas as they won in runaway fashion, 8-1 the final score. Shots were 54-18 Blades.
Swift Current returns home to host Brandon on Wednesday.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Chiefs' Road Streak Reaches Four in 2-1 Win at Tigers - Spokane Chiefs
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Williams Buries Last Minute OT Winner to Lift Oil Kings to 2-1 Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Smoke Broncos for 30th Win of the Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Special Teams Spark Raiders to Win in Brandon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Drop Tough Road Game in Saskatoon - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Fall in OT Duel to Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: Saturday, February 22 vs Swift Current - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Hub: February 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 57 vs Spokane - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, February 22 at Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Dump Oil Kings Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Busy Weekend at Home to Edmonton Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Streaking in Wrong Direction - Prince George Cougars
- Royals Fall Short to Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Silvertips Stay on Track with Eighth Straight Win - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Tripped by Giants Rally - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Defeated 4-2 in Medicine Hat - Tri-City Americans
- Portland Becomes the First WHL Club to Reach 40 Wins - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets win in Mallette's debut - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Clinch Playoff Spot by Defeating Americans 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.