Cougars Streaking in Wrong Direction
EVERETT, WA- The Prince George Cougars winless streak stretched to five games after a 4-2 loss to the Everett Silvertips Friday at Angel of the Winds Arena.
Everett's Dawson Butt scored the game-winning goal six and a half minutes into the third period, breaking a 2-2 tie. Butt's goal came 51-seconds after the Cougars tied the game. Michal Gut, Ethan Regnier and Kasper Puutio (empty-net) also scored for the Silvertips who won their fourth-straight. 16-year-old Braden Holt stopped 27 shots for his second career win.
Josh Maser and Vladislav Mikhalchuk scored for the Cougars. Maser was named the game's second start after finishing with two points (1-1-2). Taylor Gauthier suffered the loss in net but turned in a valiant effort, stopping 43 of 46 shots.
It was a tight-checking game through 40-minutes, with the two teams tied 1-1 but in the third period the game broke wide open, with four goals scored over the final 20-minutes.
Ethan Regnier put the Silvertips ahead 2-1 just eight-seconds into the final frame. Off the opening face-off, Regnier followed Cole Fonstad's shot to the net and buried the rebound that came off the pad of Gauthier.
Prince George responded on the power-play, with Mikhalchuk scoring on a rebound at 5:37. Mikhalchuk's eighth tying the game 2-2. However, the celebration was quickly muted.
51-seconds after the Cougars tied it, it was Dawson Butt replying for the Silvertips. Butt was the first to a rebound in front of Gauthier, putting the puck past the goalie's glove at 6:28. Gauthier had stopped the first two shots before Butt cashed in.
The Cougars pulled the goalie in the final two minutes, but it was Everett's Puutio scoring into an empty net from his own end of the rink to put the game out of reach at 18:20.
The Silvertips led 1-0 after 20-minutes on a power-play goal by Michael Gut. It was another rebound, as Gut grabbed the puck out front and squeezed it underneath Gauthier at 18:03.
It remained 1-0 for the Silvertips until the late stages in the second period. The Silvertips turned the puck over at the Cougars' blue-line and it was Josh Maser quickly going the other way. The Cougars' captain came down the left-wing and scored upstairs on Holt at 16:14 to tie it 1-1.
Game Notes: With his second period goal Friday, Maser extended his point streak to four games. He has four points (2-2-4) over those four games. Ryan Schoettler picked up an assist in his 250th career regular season game. The Cougars and Silvertips split their four-game season series. With the loss, the Cougars record against the U.S. Division slipped to 7-11-1-0. With the Thunderbirds losing Friday, the Cougars remain 11 points out of a playoff spot.
Next Up: The Cougars (16-31-3-4) are back in action on Sunday afternoon against the Seattle Thunderbirds at the ShoWare Center in Kent, WA. The puck drops at 5:05 pm. Fans can watch the game at Brown's Socialhouse in Prince George, or they can listen on 94.3 The GOAT.
Cougars - 1/4
Silvertips - 1/2
Cougars - 29
Three Stars: 1) Dawson Butt 2) Josh Maser 3) Braden Holt
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Chiefs' Road Streak Reaches Four in 2-1 Win at Tigers - Spokane Chiefs
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Williams Buries Last Minute OT Winner to Lift Oil Kings to 2-1 Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Smoke Broncos for 30th Win of the Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Special Teams Spark Raiders to Win in Brandon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Drop Tough Road Game in Saskatoon - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Fall in OT Duel to Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: Saturday, February 22 vs Swift Current - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Hub: February 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 57 vs Spokane - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, February 22 at Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Dump Oil Kings Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Busy Weekend at Home to Edmonton Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Streaking in Wrong Direction - Prince George Cougars
- Royals Fall Short to Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Silvertips Stay on Track with Eighth Straight Win - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Tripped by Giants Rally - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Defeated 4-2 in Medicine Hat - Tri-City Americans
- Portland Becomes the First WHL Club to Reach 40 Wins - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets win in Mallette's debut - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Clinch Playoff Spot by Defeating Americans 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince George Cougars Stories
- Koffer Invited to Czech Republic World Junior Selection Camp
- Koffer Invited to the Czech Republic's Karjala Cup Selection Camp
- Cougars Win Two Prince George Citizen Reader's Choice Awards
- Gauthier Named Cougars' NHL 21 Cover Athlete
- Cougars to Participate in Candy Cruise Prince George