Williams Buries Last Minute OT Winner to Lift Oil Kings to 2-1 Win over Pats
The Edmonton Oil Kings rounded out their three-game eastern road trip on the right note with a 2-1 overtime win over the Regina Pats in front of 4,451 fans at the Brandt Centre on Saturday night.
Josh Williams was the hero with just 46 seconds remaining in extra time for the Oil Kings (39-10-6-3), who got back into the win column over the Pats (19-31-4-2) and now head back to Rogers Place to prepare for Hockey Hooky on Tuesday morning at 11:00 AM MT against the Winnipeg ICE.
Beck Warm (18-16-3-2) rebounded nicely in the second of a back-to-back for his ninth win as an Oil King (9-2-0-1), facing and surpassing the challenge of staying sharp and allowing just one goal despite onlyÂ seeing two shots in the first period, nine in the second, and three in the third before shutting the door with both saves he was tasked with in the 3-on-3 extra frame.
Donovan Buskey (8-10-1-0) took the loss in goal, turning aside 27 of 28 shots he faced after coming in to start the second period in relief of starter Danton Belluk who allowed one goal on 13 shots in the first 20 minutes of action.
Scoring opened near the end of the first period with the Oil Kings on the power play, as an initial Dylan Guenther shot was turned away by Belluk, as was a secondary rebound by Ethan McIndoe, but Jake Neighbours swallowed up the third chance to give the visitors a 1-0 lead at 15:49.
Shots on goal in the first period heavily favoured Edmonton, 13-2.
Austin Pratt notched the equalizer with 2:37 remaining in the second for the Pats, sending the game into the second intermission tied 1-1.
Shots in the second were once again on the Oil Kings side, 12-9.
The third period was scoreless, with the Oil Kings posting 12 shots on goal to just three by the home team Pats.
In the overtime period, play went end-to-end but was highlighted by a sensational save by Warm with just 1:45 remaining to keep the stalemate alive.
Nearly a minute later, with less than a minute to play in overtime, Williams corralled the puck in his own zone and went coast to coast, through all three Pats players, and posted his 22nd of the season to secure the Oil Kings victory.
Final shots on goal were 41-16, Edmonton.
Regina was 0-for-2 on the power play, while Edmonton was 1-for-4 with the man advantage.
Josh Williams (EDM) (3), Donovan Buskey (REG) (2), and Beck Warm (EDM) (1) were selected as the Three Stars of the Game.
Wyatt McLeod, Matthew Robertson and Ethan Cap each wore an "A" and skated as alternates to captain Scott Atkinson.
The Oil Kings return home to Rogers Place on Tuesday, February 25 when they take on the Winnipeg ICE for Hockey Hooky at 11:00 AM MT.
EOK365 Season Seat Memberships,Â 8-TicketÂ &Â 18-GameÂ Flex Packs andÂ single game ticketsÂ are available for every Edmonton Oil Kings game this season, with single game tickets starting as low as just $20 per seat! Call 780-414-GOAL (4625) or emailÂ [email protected]Â for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Chiefs' Road Streak Reaches Four in 2-1 Win at Tigers - Spokane Chiefs
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Williams Buries Last Minute OT Winner to Lift Oil Kings to 2-1 Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Smoke Broncos for 30th Win of the Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Special Teams Spark Raiders to Win in Brandon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Drop Tough Road Game in Saskatoon - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Fall in OT Duel to Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: Saturday, February 22 vs Swift Current - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Hub: February 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 57 vs Spokane - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, February 22 at Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Dump Oil Kings Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Busy Weekend at Home to Edmonton Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Streaking in Wrong Direction - Prince George Cougars
- Royals Fall Short to Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Silvertips Stay on Track with Eighth Straight Win - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Tripped by Giants Rally - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Defeated 4-2 in Medicine Hat - Tri-City Americans
- Portland Becomes the First WHL Club to Reach 40 Wins - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets win in Mallette's debut - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Clinch Playoff Spot by Defeating Americans 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Canadian Hockey League Launches Memorial ECup Tournament
- Neighbours Drafted 26th Overall by St. Louis Blues
- St. Louis Blues Select Jake Neighbours 26th Overall in the 2020 NHL Draft
- Edmonton to Host Back-To-Back World Juniors
- Oil Kings Acquire Draft Picks from Everett