Rockets win in Mallette's debut
The Kelowna Rockets were victorious in Kris Mallette's debut as the Rockets interim head coach. Kelowna downed the Victoria Royals 3-2 on Friday night at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.
After a scoreless opening twenty minutes, the Rockets jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the second period. The Royals clawed their way back twice to make it a one-goal game, but the Kelowna was able to hold on for their 25th win of the campaign.
Dillon Hamaliuk (12) got the Rockets on the board first 14:21 into the second period. The San Jose Shark prospect wrapped his way around the net and fired a backhand past Royals starter, Connor Martin. Three minutes Jake Lee (5) extended the Rockets lead to two, Matthew Wedman picked up his 2ooth WHL point on the goal with an assist.
Brandon Cutler (16) banked his shot from below the goal line off of Roman Basran and into the Rockets net to cut Kelowna's lead in half with 8:39 to play in the third. Rookie import forward Pavel Novak (21) kept his hot streak going, netting the eventual game-winner and restoring the Rockets two goal lead. Royals captain Phillip Schultz (15) pulled them back within one 39 seconds after Novak's goal.
Both teams were 0-for-3 with the man advantage.
Victoria outshot Kelowna 36-28.
Nolan Foote (lower-body), Liam Kindree (upper-body), Steel Quiring, Michael Farren (upper-body), Tyson Feist (upper-body) and Sean Comrie (upper-body) were the Rockets scratches.
Goaltender Roman Basran stopped 34 of 36 shots to pick up his 25th win of the season and first star honours.
The Rockets will be back in action tomorrow night when they take on the Royals again tomorrow in Victoria.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Chiefs' Road Streak Reaches Four in 2-1 Win at Tigers - Spokane Chiefs
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Williams Buries Last Minute OT Winner to Lift Oil Kings to 2-1 Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Smoke Broncos for 30th Win of the Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Special Teams Spark Raiders to Win in Brandon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Drop Tough Road Game in Saskatoon - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Fall in OT Duel to Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: Saturday, February 22 vs Swift Current - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Hub: February 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 57 vs Spokane - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, February 22 at Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Dump Oil Kings Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Busy Weekend at Home to Edmonton Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Streaking in Wrong Direction - Prince George Cougars
- Royals Fall Short to Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Silvertips Stay on Track with Eighth Straight Win - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Tripped by Giants Rally - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Defeated 4-2 in Medicine Hat - Tri-City Americans
- Portland Becomes the First WHL Club to Reach 40 Wins - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets win in Mallette's debut - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Clinch Playoff Spot by Defeating Americans 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.