Hitmen Tripped by Giants Rally
Langley, BC - The Vancouver Giants orchestrated a third period rally to defeat the Calgary Hitmen 6-5 on Friday night at Langley Events Centre.
The win was the 11th straight for the Giants to tie a franchise record.
Trailing 5-2 heading to the final frame, Vancouver rattled off four unanswered goals including the game winner from Justin Sourdif with 4:07 remaining. The breakaway goal was a milestone marker for Sourdif who completed his first career Western Hockey League hat-trick.
Eric Florchuk, Bowen Byram and Tyler Preziuso also found the back of the net for the Giants.
Luke Prokop led the Hitmen with his first ever two-goal game while Kyle Olson, Mark Kastelic, and Orca Wiesblatt added singles on a night where the Hitmen outshot Vancouver 36-32.
The loss snaps Calgary's four-game winning streak and drops their record to 3-1 on their B.C. Division road trip.
The swing culminates in Kamloops tomorrow, Saturday, Feb. 22 against the Blazers. The next Hitmen home game is not until Thursday, Feb. 27 against Winnipeg in the TELUS BE BRAVE #EndBullying Game. The puck drops at 11:00 a.m. for the educational event that will see more than 12,000 students in attendance learn about acceptance and bullying prevention. It will also signal the start of seven games in 10 days for Calgary.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Chiefs' Road Streak Reaches Four in 2-1 Win at Tigers - Spokane Chiefs
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Williams Buries Last Minute OT Winner to Lift Oil Kings to 2-1 Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Smoke Broncos for 30th Win of the Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Special Teams Spark Raiders to Win in Brandon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Drop Tough Road Game in Saskatoon - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Fall in OT Duel to Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: Saturday, February 22 vs Swift Current - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Hub: February 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 57 vs Spokane - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, February 22 at Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Dump Oil Kings Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Busy Weekend at Home to Edmonton Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Streaking in Wrong Direction - Prince George Cougars
- Royals Fall Short to Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Silvertips Stay on Track with Eighth Straight Win - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Tripped by Giants Rally - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Defeated 4-2 in Medicine Hat - Tri-City Americans
- Portland Becomes the First WHL Club to Reach 40 Wins - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets win in Mallette's debut - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Clinch Playoff Spot by Defeating Americans 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.