Royals Fall Short to Rockets
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals dropped a 3-2 decision to the Kelowna Rockets on Friday night at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.
Gamesheet - bit.ly/2Vd0Ygs.
Game Galleries - bit.ly/3bXmJXz.
Royals - Brandon Cutler 1g-1a, Phillip Schultz 1g-0a, Gary Haden 0g-1a, Brayden Tracey 0g-1a, Matthew Smith 0g-1a.
Kelowna - Dillon Hamaliuk 1g-1a, Matthew Wedman 0g-2a, Pavel Novak 1g-0a (Game Winner), Jake Lee 1g-0g, Jake Poole 0g-1a, Elias Carmichael 0g-1a.
Royals - Connor Martin (L) - 59:01 mins, 25 saves on 28 shots.
Kelowna - Roman Basran (W) - 60:00 mins, 34 saves on 36 shots.
Royals - 0/3 = 0.0%.
Kelowna - 0/3 = 0.0%.
Penalty Kill Success: Victoria went a perfect 3/3=100.0% on the penalty kill tonight. In their last five games against the Rockets, the Royals have now successfully killed off 17 straight Kelowna powerplays. The Rockets' last powerplay goal versus Victoria took place on November 6th at Prospera Place.
Putting Up Points: Tonight, Victoria's Gary Haden and Phillip Schultz extended their point streaks to six and four games respectively. Haden has now recorded two goals and six assists during this span, while Schultz has tallied seven points (5g-2a). Haden's streak set a Royals' season-high for most consecutive games with a point.
In the Blue Paint: Royals' affiliated goaltender Connor Martin played in his second consecutive WHL game tonight. The Calgary, AB product and has stopped 63 of the 68 shots he has faced in his young career. The 2002-born netminder was recalled from the Calgary Canucks of the Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL) on Tuesday and played in his first career game on Wednesday.
Back in the Line-Up: Forwards Tarun Fizer and Brayden Tracey returned to Victoria's line-up in tonight's game. Fizer had missed the previous four contests, while Tracey was away for three games. The Royals were still without injured forwards Sean Gulka, Graeme Bryks and Ty Yoder, along with defenceman Jacob Herauf and goaltender Shane Farkas. Carson Miller left tonight's game and did not return.
Pink in the Rink: Victoria will battle the Kelowna Rockets tomorrow for their annual Pink in the Rink Night presented by Peninsula Co-op. Puck drop is at 7:05 p.m. A selection of Royals' 2020 Pink in the Rink jerseys will be available via a post-game live auction, an in-game silent auction and an online auction with proceeds going to the BC Cancer Foundation and the Victoria Royals Scholarship and Education Fund. The online auction is live now and concludes on March 2nd at 6:00 p.m. Visit bit.ly/3c0pKX5 to place a bid. Tickets can be purchased in person at the Select Your Tickets box office, over the phone by calling 250-220-7777, or online at www.selectyourtickets.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Chiefs' Road Streak Reaches Four in 2-1 Win at Tigers - Spokane Chiefs
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Williams Buries Last Minute OT Winner to Lift Oil Kings to 2-1 Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Smoke Broncos for 30th Win of the Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Special Teams Spark Raiders to Win in Brandon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Drop Tough Road Game in Saskatoon - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Fall in OT Duel to Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: Saturday, February 22 vs Swift Current - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Hub: February 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 57 vs Spokane - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, February 22 at Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Dump Oil Kings Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Busy Weekend at Home to Edmonton Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Streaking in Wrong Direction - Prince George Cougars
- Royals Fall Short to Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Silvertips Stay on Track with Eighth Straight Win - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Tripped by Giants Rally - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Defeated 4-2 in Medicine Hat - Tri-City Americans
- Portland Becomes the First WHL Club to Reach 40 Wins - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets win in Mallette's debut - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Clinch Playoff Spot by Defeating Americans 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Royals Stories
- Royals' Keanu Derungs to Compete in 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship
- Royals Sign Trio of Players
- Royals Select Marcus Almquist in CHL Import Draft
- Royals Make Trade with Broncos
- Royals' Jason Spizawka & Kalem Parker Named to Hockey Canada's Under-17 Development Camp