Chiefs' Road Streak Reaches Four in 2-1 Win at Tigers
Medicine Hat, AB. - The Spokane Chiefs came out on top Saturday night with a 2-1 win over the Medicine Hat Tigers in a matchup of playoff-bound teams that each entered the night with 73 points this season.
Spokane opened up the scoring at 4:39 of the first when Eli Zummack dished a pass to Leif Mattson, who fired it home from the low right circle to make it 1-0. Box Score: SPO (2) at MH (1)
Mattson struck again in the second period, sending a pass through the slot that found it's way into the Medicine Hat net at 11:50. Zummack was again in on the action, receiving his second assist of the night on the play.
A defense-dominated third stanza left both sides scoreless until the 17:52 mark when Medicine Hat's Brett Kemp benefited from a wild bounce off the end boards that left the puck in front of the Spokane net, where he slammed it home to make it 2-1. The Chiefs held onto the lead late and came away with their fourth consecutive road victory.
Lukas Parik was excellent in goal for Spokane, saving 34-of-35 en route to the victory. Medicine Hat's Mads Sogaard ended the night 14-of-16. The Chiefs were 0-for-3 on the power play, but held the Tigers 0-for-4.
Spokane returns home on Friday, February 28 for Shriners Hospital for Children (Spokane) School Night and Jersey Lunchbag Giveaway. The first 2,000 kids 12 and under will receive a Spokane Chiefs lunchbag courtesy of Shriners Hospital for Children.
Tickets for February 28 and all Chiefs home games are available now online and via the Chiefs' Ticket Office, over the phone at 509-535-PUCK or in-person at Spokane Arena during regular business hours.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Chiefs' Road Streak Reaches Four in 2-1 Win at Tigers - Spokane Chiefs
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Williams Buries Last Minute OT Winner to Lift Oil Kings to 2-1 Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Smoke Broncos for 30th Win of the Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Special Teams Spark Raiders to Win in Brandon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Drop Tough Road Game in Saskatoon - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Fall in OT Duel to Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: Saturday, February 22 vs Swift Current - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Hub: February 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 57 vs Spokane - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, February 22 at Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Dump Oil Kings Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Busy Weekend at Home to Edmonton Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Streaking in Wrong Direction - Prince George Cougars
- Royals Fall Short to Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Silvertips Stay on Track with Eighth Straight Win - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Tripped by Giants Rally - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Defeated 4-2 in Medicine Hat - Tri-City Americans
- Portland Becomes the First WHL Club to Reach 40 Wins - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets win in Mallette's debut - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Clinch Playoff Spot by Defeating Americans 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.