Pats Fall in OT Duel to Edmonton
Regina, Saskatchewan - The Regina Pats earned a point on home ice Saturday in a 2-1 overtime defeat at the hands of the Edmonton Oil Kings at the Brandt Centre.
In the first, Edmonton outshot Regina 13-2, but Danton Belluk stood tall making 12 saves. The lone goal that got by him was on the powerplay from Jake Neighbours and it was 1-0 Oil Kings after one. Belluk was forced to leave the game after the first and so Donovan Buskey came into the game to start the second. The Pats found the tying goal at 17:23 of the period when Austin Pratt jammed in his 18th from the side of the net and it was 1-1 after 40 minutes. In the third, Donovan Buskey stopped all 12 shots he faced, securing a point for Regina in a game that went to overtime tied at one. In the extra frame, the Oil Kings got the winner from Josh Williams at 4:13 and they took the extra point in a 2-1 final.
The Pats were outshot 41-16, the powerplay was oh for two, the penalty kill three for four, while Danton Belluk and Donovan Buskey combined to make 39 saves.
The Pats (19-31-4-2) will wrap up their three-game weekend on Sunday when they host the Brandon Wheat Kings at 4 p.m. at the Brandt Centre.
Edmonton - Jake Neighbours (21) from Ethan McIndoe and Dylan Guenther - 15:50 PP.
Regina - Austin Pratt (18) from Zach Wytinck and Cole Dubinsky - 17:23.
Edmonton - Josh Williams (22) from Dylan Guenther and Matthew Robertson - 4:13.
Shots on Goal
Regina 2-9-3-2-(16) Edmonton 13-12-12-4-(41)
Regina 0/2 Edmonton 1/4
- Austin Pratt has points in four straight, scoring two goals and three assists in that stretch.
- The Pats finish their season series with Edmonton with a 1-2-1-0 record.
- Zach Wytinck picked up the 94th assist of his WHL career in the contest.
The Pats will wrap up their three-game weekend on Sunday when they host the Brandon Wheat Kings at 4 p.m. at the Brandt Centre. Tickets are available at reginapats.com, the Brandt Centre Box Office or at any Regina Safeway location.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Chiefs' Road Streak Reaches Four in 2-1 Win at Tigers - Spokane Chiefs
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Williams Buries Last Minute OT Winner to Lift Oil Kings to 2-1 Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Smoke Broncos for 30th Win of the Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Special Teams Spark Raiders to Win in Brandon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Drop Tough Road Game in Saskatoon - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Fall in OT Duel to Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: Saturday, February 22 vs Swift Current - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Hub: February 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 57 vs Spokane - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, February 22 at Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Dump Oil Kings Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Busy Weekend at Home to Edmonton Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Streaking in Wrong Direction - Prince George Cougars
- Royals Fall Short to Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Silvertips Stay on Track with Eighth Straight Win - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Tripped by Giants Rally - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Defeated 4-2 in Medicine Hat - Tri-City Americans
- Portland Becomes the First WHL Club to Reach 40 Wins - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets win in Mallette's debut - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Clinch Playoff Spot by Defeating Americans 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Pats Store Headed to Cornwall Centre for Holiday Shopping Season
- Pats Join T's for Toys in Support of Eagle Heart Centre
- Tickets Now Available for Hockey Harvest Lottery
- Saskatchewan WHL Clubs Partner to Launch Hockey Harvest Lottery
- Pats acquire defenceman Tom Cadieux from Tri-City