Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle
Dante Giannuzzi ties his career high with 30 saves against Seattle, but the Thunderbirds beat the Hawks 3-2 on Saturday night. Seattle kept Portland to just 32 shots on goal and tonight was their first regulation win against Portland in nine meetings this year.
Each team scored in the opening frame to make it a 1-1 contest through 20 minutes of play. Jonas Brondberg tallied the game's first goal on the game's first shot 1:11 into the night. But Seattle was rewarded with three consecutive power play chances and they cashed in to tie the game. Matthew Rempe shot in the backdoor pass to make it 1-1. It was his ninth point against the Hawks in eight games this season.
The I-5 Rivalry remained tied through 40 minutes of play as each team tacked on second period goals. Kai Uchacz scored his second goal of the season a few minutes in to the middle stanza, but Portland's leading scorer Seth Jarvis tied the game at 2-2 a few minutes later.
Brendan Williamson scored the lone third period goal, the eventual game-winning goal for Seattle in the final four minutes of play. It was his first goal in the Western Hockey League. Portland pulled Giannuzzi for the extra attacker and despite taking the last five shots of the game, Seattle held on to win at home.
The Winterhawks return home on Sunday evening at Veterans Memorial Coliseum for a 5:00pm game against the second place Everett Silvertips.
Alternate captain Matthew Quigley has assists in three straight games.
Brondberg has scored three goals in his last five games.
Portland is 5-1-0-3 this season against Seattle.
Box Score (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Dante Giannuzzi stopped 30-of-33 shots.
SEA: Roddy Ross stopped 30-of-32 shots.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Chiefs' Road Streak Reaches Four in 2-1 Win at Tigers - Spokane Chiefs
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Williams Buries Last Minute OT Winner to Lift Oil Kings to 2-1 Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Smoke Broncos for 30th Win of the Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Special Teams Spark Raiders to Win in Brandon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Drop Tough Road Game in Saskatoon - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Fall in OT Duel to Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: Saturday, February 22 vs Swift Current - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Hub: February 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 57 vs Spokane - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, February 22 at Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Dump Oil Kings Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Busy Weekend at Home to Edmonton Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Streaking in Wrong Direction - Prince George Cougars
- Royals Fall Short to Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Silvertips Stay on Track with Eighth Straight Win - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Tripped by Giants Rally - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Defeated 4-2 in Medicine Hat - Tri-City Americans
- Portland Becomes the First WHL Club to Reach 40 Wins - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets win in Mallette's debut - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Clinch Playoff Spot by Defeating Americans 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.