Shawn Mather Named Runner-up for Player of the Week
FRESNO, Calif. - Fresno Falcons assistant captain Shawn Mather was named runner-up for the InGlasCo ECHL Player of the Week Award for Jan. 2 - 8. Capturing the league's top weekly honors was Steve Saviano of the Florida Everblades. The Falcons play the Everblades, which have reached the Kelly Cup Finals before finishing runner-up each of the past two seasons, tonight at Save Mart Center at 7 p.m.
Mather recorded four goals and two assists during three games this past week against the Victoria Salmon Kings. After tallying one goal and one assist during a 5-3 loss on Jan. 5, the centerman responded the next night in a 4-3 Falcons win with an unassisted power play goal and an assist. His completely individual effort on the goal - he won a face-off to himself before scoring off his own rebound - carried special significance because it served as the 200th point (87g-113a) of his professional career. The next evening Mather added another two tallies, including a game-winning shorthanded goal, his first shorthanded marker of the season. The Ontario native has 10 points (5g-5a) over his last five games and is currently fourth on the team in scoring with 28 points (12g-16a) in 26 games played.
Mather is the third Falcons player to earn weekly award consideration from the ECHL this season. Luke Curtin was named Player of the Week during the final week of October, and Brett Jaeger took home Reebok Hockey Saver of the Week honors during the first week of November. Jaeger was also runner-up for Goaltender of the Week later in November before finishing runner-up for the league's November Goaltender of the Month Award.
Fresno, which at times was playing with as few as 13 skaters over the weekend in Victoria, has signed forward Trent Walford to help shore up the roster, which has been beset by injuries (Brett Hammond and Rob McFeeters), call-ups (Matt Deschamps, Ray DiLauro, Glenn Olson), and a personal leave of absence (Brad Both).
Walford grew up playing hockey in the Toronto area with Falcons head coach/general manager Matt Thomas and assistant coach Ryan Mougenel. After dominating the Junior A ranks in Ontario, Walford moved on to a four-year career at Lake Superior State University before playing a total of 33 games with the Dayton Bombers and Pee Dee Pride in the ECHL in 1999-00 and 2000-01. He has since traded in his hockey skates for a life in Hollywood as the manager for Jenny McCarthy of Singled Out and Party at the Palms fame.
Fresno placed winger McFeeters on seven-day injured reserve today, as well.
The Pacific Division's Falcons and South Division's Everblades drop the puck at Save Mart Center at 7 p.m. this evening in a battle of first-place teams. The game is a Carl's Jr. Two-for-Tuesday, with two-for-one coupons available at participating Carl's Jr. restaurants.
Individual tickets are on sale now at all Ticketmaster outlets and Save Mart Center's box office with prices ranging from $8 - $22. For complete ticket information and an arena map of Save Mart Center, visit www.fresnofalcons.com/singletickets.html, or contact the Falcons front office directly at (559) 485-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 10, 2006
- Tired Gulls Get No Relief In Las Vegas, 6-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Everblades Fall to Fresno 4-1 - Florida Everblades
- RoadRunners Clip Aces Wings 3-0 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Aces blanked for the first time all year, 3-0 in Phoenix - Alaska Aces
- Royals Fall To Wheeling, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- Bonello Back To Toledo - Toledo Walleye
- Traylen runner-up for ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Trenton Devils
- Bombers drop 5-1 decision to Chiefs - Dayton Bombers
- Gladiators beat Grrrowl, 2-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Shawn Mather Named Runner-up for Player of the Week - Fresno Falcons
- Meet the Falcons Events on Tap this Week - Fresno Falcons
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Weiman Named Reekbok Hockey ECHL Goaltender Of The Week - San Diego Gulls
- Blades' Saviano Named Player of the Week - Florida Everblades
- Gulls' Weiman Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender Of The Week - ECHL
- Ice Pilots Battle Back for 4-3 OT Win At South Carolina - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- AHL calls up Wood and Traylen, Marlin signs - Trenton Devils
- Florida's Saviano Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Tonight is car-load night - Dayton Bombers
- Teplitsky Replaces Dayton Teammate On American Roster - ECHL
- Ice Pilots Score Four to Win in Overtime - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Ice Pilots Scuttle Stingrays in Overtime - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- 'Blades add Black to roster - Florida Everblades
- Aces add Lynch and King - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Venedam Leads Scoring Charge in Win Over Idaho - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Control Steelheads in Win - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.