Shaq Thompson Named Home Run Derby Captain
June 29, 2016 - International League (IL1) - Charlotte Knights News Release
(UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NC) -- Shaq Thompson, a 2015 standout rookie linebacker for the NFC Champion Carolina Panthers, is the second of eight celebrity captains named for the 2016 Harris Teeter and Tide+ Triple-A Baseball Home Run Derby presented by Clariant. The event, which kicks off the three-day All-Star celebration at BB&T Ballpark, takes center stage in Uptown Charlotte on Monday, July 11th. Gates will open at 6:00 p.m. on July 11th and Thompson, along with seven other celebrity captains, will sign pre-event autographs down on the field.
In all, a total of eight sluggers -- including six Triple-A participants (three from the International League and three from the Pacific Coast League) and two High School Home Run Derby winners (Riley Zayicek of Lake Norman High and Trent Alley of Charlotte Country Day) -- will compete for the 2016 Triple-A Home Run Derby championship belt. Home Run Derby participants and additional celebrity captains will be announced in the coming weeks leading up to the July 11th event. Last week, former NFL cornerback Jason Sehorn was named as the first Home Run Derby Captain.
Thompson, 22, excelled at the University of Washington from 2012 to 2014. As a junior, the Sacramento, CA native won the Paul Hornung Award and was named an All-American. A former three-sport High School star, Thompson was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 18th round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft and played 13 games that year for the GCL Red Sox. Three years later, the Panthers selected Thompson in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft with the 25th overall pick. In his rookie campaign with the Panthers, Thompson recorded 50 tackles and one sack during the regular season. He also added five tackles in Super Bowl 50.
Tickets for the 2016 Harris Teeter and Tide+ Triple-A Baseball Home Run Derby presented by Clariant, as well as the 2016 All-Star Luncheon and 2016 Sonic Automotive Triple-A Baseball All-Star Game presented by Gildan, are on sale now and available by phone at 704-274-8282, online at CharlotteKnights.com, or in person at the BB&T Ballpark Ticket Office. Charlie Manuel and Jim Thome will be inducted into the Charlotte Baseball Roundtable of Honor on July 13th at the All-Star Luncheon, which takes place at the Charlotte Convention Center on July 13th.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 29, 2016
- Bisons Battle Back to Extend Streak to Nine in 4-3 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs Drop Series Finale to Clippers, 5-2 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Swept by Buffalo, 4-3 - Louisville Bats
- Diaz Goes Deep as SWB Sweeps - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Chiefs Fall Late in Series Finale to RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Duncan's Career Day Helps Tribe Blank Braves - Indianapolis Indians
- IronPigs Look to Avoid Sweep against Clippers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox Edge Wings 3-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- PawSox Take Series in Rochester with 3-2 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indians blank G-Braves, 5-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Shaq Thompson Named Home Run Derby Captain - Charlotte Knights
- "Clock in a Can" Giveaway Slated for Wednesday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Crouse Cruises Through Seven, Hens Take Finale - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tides to Host Free Prostate Education Event on Friday, July 1st - Norfolk Tides
- Polanco, Wheeler and Cliburn Named International League All-Stars - Rochester Red Wings
- Three Fireworks Shows Highlight Independence Week at DBAP - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Louisville (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Trea Turner, Brian Goodwin Named to I.L. All-Star Team - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Have Four Elected to Triple-A All-Star Game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- McGehee to Represent Hens in Triple-A All-Star Game - Toledo Mud Hens
- Gwinnett Braves' OF Ronnier Mustelier Selected to Triple-A All-Star Game - Gwinnett Stripers
- Trio of IronPigs Named to International League All-Star Team - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- International League Names 4 Bisons to All-Star Team - Buffalo Bisons
- International League All-Star Team Announced - IL1
- Davidson & Garcia to Represent Charlotte on IL All-Star Team - Charlotte Knights
- Glasnow and Bell Named Triple-A All-Stars - Indianapolis Indians
- Pruitt, Floro Selected to International League All-Star Team - Durham Bulls
- Jermaine Curtis Named International League All-Star - Louisville Bats
- Audry Perez Named to International League All-Star Team - Norfolk Tides
- Plutko Carries Clippers over IronPigs - Columbus Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.