Sellout Crowd Watches Grizz Beat ABQ 6-5
Fresno, CA (Friday, August 30) - Three home runs by the Fresno Grizzlies (62-75) wowed a crowd of 12,812 on Friday night at Chukchansi Park, and carried the home side to a 6-5 victory in the series-opener against the Albuquerque Isotopes (60-77). The Grizzlies have now hit 202 homers this season, setting a new franchise record; the 2017 club went deep 200 times.
The teams traded home runs in the first inning. A Roberto Ramos two-run shot staked the Isotopes to a 2-0 lead, before Wilmer Difo led the game with a solo shot for Fresno. A Brandon Snyder bases loaded sac fly later in the inning tied the game 2-2.
Still tied in the fourth, the single-season club homer record was broken when Raudy Read hit a two-run shot to right field after Yadiel Hernandez extended his current club-high hit streak to nine games with a single. Snyder followed with an opposite field blast to left to make the score 5-2, marking the seventh time in 2019 the Grizzlies have gone back-to-back. It was the fourth time Snyder had been involved in back-to-back homers this season. With 32 and 31 home runs respectively, Hernandez and Snyder trail only Pedro Feliz (33, 2000) and A.J. Reed (34, 2017) on Fresno's Triple-A single-season homer list.
Read, who has hit safely in eight of nine games, rapped an RBI single in fifth inning for Fresno's sixth and final run, which proved to be the game-winning knock. Read reached base four times on Friday with three hits (homer, double) and a walk.
Albuquerque rallied with home runs by Brian Mundell (2-run) in the eighth and Todd Czinege (pinch hit, solo) in the ninth, but the Grizzlies improved to 12-8 in one-run games at home this season. Fresno also improved to 13-6 this year when Scott Copeland starts, and the Grizz won his final four outings of 2019. The right-hander twirled a quality start (7.0 IP, 2 ER).
Only three games remain in the 2019 season through the long weekend, with the Isotopes in town through Monday (Labor Day, 1:05 p.m. first pitch).
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- C Raudy Read (3-3, HR, 2B, 3 RBI, BB)
- 1B Brandon Snyder (Sac fly, solo HR)
- RHP Scott Copeland (7.0 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K)
Top Performers: Albuquerque Isotopes (Colorado Rockies)
- LF Brian Mundell (2-4, HR, 2 RBI)
- 1B Roberto Ramos (HR, 2 RBI, 3 BB)
- RF Drew Weeks (3-5, 2B, R)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Saturday August 31 Albuquerque Isotopes (Home) RHP Nelson Gonzalez (Albuquerque) vs. LHP Ben Braymer (Fresno) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 / KAIL-13
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Friday's crowd of 12,812 at Chukchansi Park was the third-largest of 2019, and the sixth crowd of over 10,000 for Grizzlies baseball in Downtown Fresno this season.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Bees Defeat Aces - Salt Lake Bees
- Missions Slug Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- New Orleans takes a 2-0 series lead in Oklahoma City with 3-0 win Saturday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Home Run by Missions Defeats Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Falls to Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Finish Winningest August in Franchise History - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Halt Express 4-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Slip Past Chasers 10-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Edge Storm Chasers 10-9 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (64-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-58) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 31, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-69) at Iowa Cubs (73-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Tacoma Rallies for 4-2 Victory over Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Fall in Extras - Salt Lake Bees
- Sellout Crowd Watches Grizz Beat ABQ 6-5 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Fall 2-1 in 10 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Davis walks it off for River Cats in pitchers' duel - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes' Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Grizzlies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Win in Extra-Inning Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th