New Orleans takes a 2-0 series lead in Oklahoma City with 3-0 win Saturday
Oklahoma City - The New Orleans Baby Cakes held the Oklahoma City Dodgers to four hits Saturday, sending the Dodgers to a 3-0 loss at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
The shutout loss was the ninth of the season for the Dodgers and third in the last 14 games as New Orleans took a 2-0 lead in the final series of the season for both teams.
Three New Orleans pitchers combined for the shutout, led by 5.0 scoreless innings by starting pitcher Mike Kickham.
New Orleans (72-64) took the lead on a RBI single by Rosell Herrera in the fourth inning.
In the sixth inning, Magneuris Sierra lined a single into left field and a run scored on the play when Dodgers left fielder Zach Reks' throw toward third base was offline to put New Orleans ahead, 2-1, on the throwing error.
Eddy Alvarez followed and lined a RBI single into right field for a 3-0 New Orleans' lead.
The Baby Cakes loaded the bases in the seventh inning with two outs, but OKC pitcher Tyler Thornburg got Eddy Alvarez to ground out to end the inning and keep New Orleans from adding to its lead.
Gavin Lux recorded two of Oklahoma City's four hits Saturday as the team was held without an extra-base hit for the sixth time in 2019.
Kickham (5-5) picked up the win, allowing two hits over 5.0 shutout innings. Dylan Lee followed with 3.0 shutout innings and Jose Quijada closed out the game with a scoreless ninth inning for his fourth save with the Baby Cakes.
Mitchell White pitched 3.0 scoreless innings to start the game for Oklahoma City (61-76), allowing one hit with four strikeouts.
Dodgers pitcher Rob Zastryzny (3-6) followed and was charged with the loss, allowing all three New Orleans runs and six hits over 3.0 innings. He issued one walk and recorded three strikeouts. Thornburg, Josh Sborz and Kevin Quackenbush held the Baby Cakes without a run and to one hit over the final 3.0 innings combined.
The OKC Dodgers and New Orleans Baby Cakes meet for the third time in their final series of the season at 2:05 p.m. Sunday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Fan Appreciation Weekend continues on a Chaparral Energy Sunday, featuring many family friendly activities including inflatables, face painters and kids can run the bases after the game.
Red the Bat Dog will assist on the field during pregame activities and serve as bat dog for the game's first three innings Sunday before interacting with fans on the concourse during the game. Red is a three-year-old Labrador retriever/German shepherd mix trained by Lukas Miller of Sit Means Sit dog training in Oklahoma City and Tulsa.
Tickets are available through the OKC Dodgers ticket office located on South Mickey Mantle Drive, by phone at (405) 218-2182, or by visiting okcdodgers.com.
Live radio coverage of each game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Bees Defeat Aces - Salt Lake Bees
- Missions Slug Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- New Orleans takes a 2-0 series lead in Oklahoma City with 3-0 win Saturday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Home Run by Missions Defeats Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Falls to Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Finish Winningest August in Franchise History - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Halt Express 4-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Slip Past Chasers 10-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Edge Storm Chasers 10-9 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (64-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-58) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 31, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-69) at Iowa Cubs (73-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Tacoma Rallies for 4-2 Victory over Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Fall in Extras - Salt Lake Bees
- Sellout Crowd Watches Grizz Beat ABQ 6-5 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Fall 2-1 in 10 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Davis walks it off for River Cats in pitchers' duel - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes' Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Grizzlies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Win in Extra-Inning Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- Registration Open for Free, STEM-Based OKC Dodgers MVP Program
- Lifeshare Winterfest and Snow Tubing Canceled
- Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark Named Winner Of Ballpark Digest's Best Of The Ballparks Competition
- OKC Dodgers Announce Details Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Baseball Sesaon
- Registration Open for OKC Dodgers Rookie League Fall Season