Iowa Falls to Memphis
DES MOINES, IA - A 7.1-inning no-hit bid from the Memphis Redbirds (69-69) helped them to a 3-1 victory over the Iowa Cubs (73-65) on Saturday night at Principal Park.
A first-inning home run from Adolis Garcia gave Memphis an early 2-0 lead. The blast was his third of the year against Iowa.
The big fly was the only trouble for Iowa starter Tyson Miller (L, 3-5) until the seventh frame as he allowed just two singles in the second through six innings. Miller allowed another run in the seventh, exiting after 6.2 innings, but two of his runners were left stranded by Dakota Mekkes to preserve his first Triple-A quality start. Miller allowed three runs on five hits while collecting six strikeouts, while Mekkes had an impressive outing, striking out three in his 1.1 frames.
The I-Cubs threatened in the third with runners on the corners, but the Redbirds escaped the jam with a strikeout from starter Seth Elledge. The trio of Elledge, Roel Ramirez and Chasen Shreve brought a no-hitter into the eighth inning before Zack Short blasted a double off Kodi Whitley with one out to break up the bid.
Albert Almora Jr. tripled in the ninth and came around to score on a sacrifice fly from Robel Garcia to spoil the shutout, but the comeback effort fell short as Iowa dropped the contest.
- Tyson Miller's six strikeouts are a career-high at the Triple-A level.
The I-Cubs continue their series with Memphis at 1:08 p.m. on Sunday, before wrapping up the 2019 regular season at 12:08 p.m. on Monday. The I-Cubs return to Principal Park on Friday, Sept. 4 for a 7:08 p.m. first pitch in Game 3 of the first round of the PCL Playoffs. The first 1,000 fans will receive a rally towel. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Bees Defeat Aces - Salt Lake Bees
- Missions Slug Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- New Orleans takes a 2-0 series lead in Oklahoma City with 3-0 win Saturday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Home Run by Missions Defeats Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Falls to Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Finish Winningest August in Franchise History - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Halt Express 4-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Slip Past Chasers 10-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Edge Storm Chasers 10-9 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (64-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-58) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 31, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-69) at Iowa Cubs (73-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Tacoma Rallies for 4-2 Victory over Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Fall in Extras - Salt Lake Bees
- Sellout Crowd Watches Grizz Beat ABQ 6-5 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Fall 2-1 in 10 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Davis walks it off for River Cats in pitchers' duel - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes' Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Grizzlies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Win in Extra-Inning Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.