Redbirds Finish Winningest August in Franchise History
DES MOINES, Iowa - Four Memphis Redbirds pitchers held the Iowa Cubs (Cubs) hitless until one out in the bottom of the eighth inning, and the Redbirds went on to finish off a 3-1 win Saturday night in Des Moines, Iowa.
Seth Elledge, Roel Ramirez, and Chasen Shreve pitched 7.0 hitless innings, and Kodi Whitley got the first out in the bottom of the eighth before Zack Short doubled for the Cubs. Iowa (73-65) scored its only run of the game on a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth, and the Redbirds held Iowa to two hits in the game.
The win is Memphis' (69-69) 18th in its last 22 games. The Redbirds finished the month of August with a 22-7 record for the winningest August in franchise history. The 22 wins match July 2017 for the most victories in a single month in the history of the club.
Adolis Garcia hit a two-run home run in the top of the first inning to open the scoring, his 31st of the season, and he now has 95 RBI on the season. The 31 long balls are tied for fifth-most by a player in a season in franchise history, and the 95 runs driven in are sixth-most.
Memphis' other run in the game was a Jose Martinez single in the seventh inning that scored Max Schrock. Martinez finished 2-for-4, and Schrock stole his 12th base of the season in the game.
Randy Arozarena was 0-for-4, ending his hitting streak at nine games and his streak of consecutive starts reaching base at 46. He had reached base at least once in every start he made as a Redbird since June 26.
Ramirez earned the win in his Triple-A debut after being transferred from Double-A Springfield earlier in the day, as he tossed scoreless fourth and fifth innings with three strikeouts.
Memphis and Iowa have two games left in their regular-season-concluding series. The clubs will match up tomorrow at 1:08 p.m. and Monday at 12:08 p.m.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Tuesday, Sept. 17 at 7:00: Triple A-National Championship Game presented by Ephesus Sports Lighting; free BBQ Nachos and a drink to all fans as part of "Nacho Average Tuesday" presented by Dave & Buster's
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Bees Defeat Aces - Salt Lake Bees
- Missions Slug Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- New Orleans takes a 2-0 series lead in Oklahoma City with 3-0 win Saturday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Home Run by Missions Defeats Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Falls to Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Finish Winningest August in Franchise History - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Halt Express 4-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Slip Past Chasers 10-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Edge Storm Chasers 10-9 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (64-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-58) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 31, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-69) at Iowa Cubs (73-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Tacoma Rallies for 4-2 Victory over Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Fall in Extras - Salt Lake Bees
- Sellout Crowd Watches Grizz Beat ABQ 6-5 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Fall 2-1 in 10 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Davis walks it off for River Cats in pitchers' duel - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes' Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Grizzlies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Win in Extra-Inning Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Redbirds to Host Yard Sale Saturday
- AutoZone Park to Host Free Movie Night Presented by Terminix
- MLB Names Peter B. Freund to Guide Transition of Licensed Affiliates
- Memphis Redbirds Statement on Season Cancellation
- Minor League Baseball Delays Start of 2020 Season