Davis walks it off for River Cats in pitchers' duel
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. - After clinching their berth into the Pacific Coast League playoffs, the Sacramento River Cats (71-66) can now play spoiler. Their 2-1 defeat over the El Paso Chihuahuas (79-58) on Friday night narrowed their chances of catching the Las Vegas Aviators in the race for the Pacific Southern division title.
Right-hander Burch Smith was a late scratch from the lineup, so instead it was lefty Steven Okert followed by five other bullpen arms that combined to hold El Paso's potent offense to just one run on four hits. The lone Chihuahuas run was scored on a solo shot from leadoff man Rodrigo Orozco, but the club would fail to record a hit during the final four innings. Hard-throwing right-hander Melvin Adon was particularly effective as he faced three batters in the top of the ninth and struck out all of them.
As the 1-1 game moved into extras, a perfectly-placed bunt single from infielder Abiatal Avelino moved the winning run to third base. Outfielder Jaylin Davis came to the plate and launched a ball into left-center field that landed on the warning track for the game-winning hit, giving the club its seventh walk-off victory of the season.
Giants right-hander Johnny Cueto (0-1, 6.23) will take the mound for the second time during the homestand in what will likely be his final rehab appearance before joining the big-league club. El Paso will counter with southpaw Dillon Overton (9-5, 5.76). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Listen to all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on Money 105.5 FM.
Infielder Peter Maris was desperately in need of a hit as he was in an 0-for-26 slump with the River Cats heading into tonight's ballgame. After making it 0-for-28, Maris's third plate appearance of the night resulted in looping single into center field for his first career Triple-A hit. He eventually drew a walk in the bottom of the ninth, as well.
With tonight's win, the River Cats secured their first winning season since switching affiliations from Oakland to San Francisco going into the 2015 season.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Bees Defeat Aces - Salt Lake Bees
- Missions Slug Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- New Orleans takes a 2-0 series lead in Oklahoma City with 3-0 win Saturday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Home Run by Missions Defeats Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Falls to Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Finish Winningest August in Franchise History - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Halt Express 4-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Slip Past Chasers 10-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Edge Storm Chasers 10-9 - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (64-71) vs. San Antonio Missions (79-58) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 31, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-69) at Iowa Cubs (73-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Tacoma Rallies for 4-2 Victory over Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Fall in Extras - Salt Lake Bees
- Sellout Crowd Watches Grizz Beat ABQ 6-5 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Fall 2-1 in 10 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Davis walks it off for River Cats in pitchers' duel - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes' Three Homers Not Enough in Loss to Grizzlies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Win in Extra-Inning Offensive Explosion - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics