Rox Complete Three-Game Road Stand with Win over Willmar
Willmar, MN - Gus Steiger (South Dakota State) finished a double short of hitting for the cycle as St. Cloud (15-11) knocked off Willmar (17-10) by a final score of 8-6. The Rox have now won three consecutive games and six of their last seven.
After falling behind 2-0, the Rox rallied for four runs in the top of the fourth inning. Steiger drilled a two-run shot over the left field wall to cut the deficit in half. Zack Elliott (Minnesota) would later hit a double that scored Brett Bonar (Nebraska-Omaha) from second base. Brady Harlan (Oklahoma) would cap off the inning with an RBI-single hit to right field.
Down 6-4 in the top of the sixth inning, St. Cloud would find another way to tie the game. Following a Freddy Achecar (Georgetown) single and a Ben Carew (Kent State) walk, Harlan laid down a perfect sacrifice bunt. That set up Jordan Barth (Augustana), who blasted a two-run double to right field and tied the game 6-6.
Bonar would reclaim the lead for the Rox in the top of the seventh inning as he crushed an RBI-double to left field and scored Steiger from first base.
St. Cloud would add an insurance run in the top of the ninth inning. After Steiger blasted a leadoff triple, he was scored off the bat of Achecar to go ahead 8-6.
Cam Kline (Minnesota State-Mankato) started the game on the mound and picked up the no-decision after tossing 3.2 innings. He was followed by Trae Robertson (Missouri), who earned the win after hurling 3.1 innings and not allowing an earned run. Pedro Garcia (Georgia Gwinnett College) earned the two-inning save.
For the full box score from Saturday's game, click here.
St. Cloud will be back at home on Sunday against the Willmar Stingers with a 4:05 p.m. first pitch time in the series finale. It's Books and Baseball Day presented by the Initiative Foundation and United Way. The first 200 families with a child five and under receive a book and will have the opportunity to read with the players on the field starting at 3:05 p.m. and concluding at 3:30 p.m. It's also a Coborn's Kids Day as children will have the chance to run the bases after the game and get autographs on the field from players and coaches.
All single games tickets can be purchased now in person at the Rox Ticket Office located at the Municipal Athletic Complex, by calling the Rox Ticket office at 320-240-9798 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday or 24 hours a day by visiting www.stcloudrox.com.
Images from this story
Brady Harlan of the St. Cloud Rox
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Huskies Win Game Two 12-11 - Duluth Huskies
- Defense Dazzles, Rafters Drop Series Finale - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Sweep the Stingers Following Delano's Big Day - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Hold off Woodchucks for 6-5 Win - Madison Mallards
- Stingers Swept by St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Dock Spiders Can't Hang On - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Late Inning Rally Falls Short of Beating the Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Ferguson's Two Blasts Power Bucks to 7-6 Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Evens Series with Fond Du Lac - Green Bay Booyah
- Morrow Homers Twice as Pit Spitters Sweep Growlers - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Close Road Trip in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bombers Drop Second of Two to Kokomo - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Looking for Redemption on the Road - Madison Mallards
- Rox Complete Three-Game Road Stand with Win over Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
- Bucks Storm Back for 8-5 Win over Express - Waterloo Bucks
- Larks Fly by Huskies 11-3 in Game One - Duluth Huskies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Cloud Rox Stories
- St. Cloud Battles with Willmar, Falls to Stingers in the Playoffs
- Delano Breaks RBI Record, Rox Fall in Game One of Playoffs to Willmar
- St. Cloud Rox 2019 Playoff Picture
- Rox Clinch Playoff Berth During Game Two of Doubleheader, Play at Home Monday
- Delano Tosses Three-Hitter, Rox Beat Border Cats in Game One of Doubleheader