Bombers Drop Second of Two to Kokomo
The Battle Creek Bombers were swept Sunday afternoon by the Kokomo Jackrabbits, dropping the second game of the series 6-3. The game was tied in the bottom of the eighth inning when Evan Albrecht, in his first at-bat after entering the game as a defensive replacement, hit a 2-RBI double to give Kokomo the lead. The Jackrabbits added one more run off of reliever Jordan Rhodes and would hold on to win by three.
Lyle Hibbitts delivered a relatively short start for Battle Creek, throwing three innings and allowing two runs on four hits while walking one and striking out three. Aaron Husson responded with a strong outing for Kokomo in his second start of the year. The UMBC right-hander delivered five innings, giving up two runs on seven hits, while walking two and striking out four batters.
After falling behind in the game 2-0, Battle Creek rallied back with a run apiece in the fourth and fifth innings to tie the game. An RBI single from Jack Merrifield in the fourth brought Battle Creek within one, and a throwing error from catcher Austin Elder in the fifth allowed Erik Owen to score to knot the score at two.
Kokomo responded in the bottom of the fifth, though, scoring one more run to retake the lead. Designated hitter Ethan Gallagher walked with the bases loaded off of reliever Pablo Arevalo, and the Jackrabbits pulled ahead 3-2. Battle Creek had an opportunity to respond in the bottom of the sixth, but Kokomo reliever Joey Haass escaped a bases-loaded, nobody-out jam to protect a one-run advantage. Battle Creek would get one run back in the seventh, though, off of a RBI single from Josh Sears to knot the game at three. Beaux Bonvillain ran into trouble in the eighth though, and Albrecht delivered to put away the Bombers.
Monday, Battle Creek has a scheduled day off for the first time in the 2019 Northwoods League schedule, but return to C.O. Brown Stadium on Tuesday for a doubleheader against the Rockford Rivets.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Huskies Win Game Two 12-11 - Duluth Huskies
- Defense Dazzles, Rafters Drop Series Finale - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Sweep the Stingers Following Delano's Big Day - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Hold off Woodchucks for 6-5 Win - Madison Mallards
- Stingers Swept by St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Dock Spiders Can't Hang On - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Late Inning Rally Falls Short of Beating the Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Ferguson's Two Blasts Power Bucks to 7-6 Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Evens Series with Fond Du Lac - Green Bay Booyah
- Morrow Homers Twice as Pit Spitters Sweep Growlers - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Close Road Trip in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bombers Drop Second of Two to Kokomo - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Looking for Redemption on the Road - Madison Mallards
- Rox Complete Three-Game Road Stand with Win over Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
- Bucks Storm Back for 8-5 Win over Express - Waterloo Bucks
- Larks Fly by Huskies 11-3 in Game One - Duluth Huskies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Battle Creek Bombers Stories
- Bombers Split Doubleheader with Mac Daddies as Runs Come at a Premium
- Growlers Sweep Bombers, Extend Lead to 9 Games in SW MI Pod
- Bombers Dominate on Both Sides, Sweep Doubleheader against Mac Daddies
- Bombers, Mac Daddies Split Doubleheader as Bombers Rally Comes up Short in Nightcap
- Bombers Drop Both Games in Double-Header, as Hitting and Pitching Fail to Link Up