Morrow Homers Twice as Pit Spitters Sweep Growlers
Traverse City, MI - A couple Pit Spitters batters put on an absolute show for the over 1,000 home fans Sunday, as the home side swept the series with Kalamazoo, 6-3. Pit Spitters shortstop Michael Slaten (JR Benedictine) went 3-4 with a pair of triples, and his teammate Andrew Morrow (JR Michigan State) slugged a pair of two-run homers. Between the two of them, they drove in all six Pit Spitters runs.
The Pit Spitters got the scoring started early as each of the first four batters in the bottom of the first would reach base with hits and come around to score. The Growlers answered with two runs on three hits and two walks issued by Pit Spitters starter Will Buraconak (JR Indiana State) in the second, forcing Buraconak from the game on account of his pitch count.
The game would stay 4-2 until the seventh, when Andrew Morrow stepped up with one on and one out and mashed a two-run shot off the scoreboard in left center, taking the Pit Spitters lead to 6-2. The Growlers would get one back off the Pit Spitters bullpen, but Jon Beuckelaere (JR Madonna) struck out three in the ninth to record his second save of the season. Earning the win was Garett Simmons (JR Ball State,) who moves to 1-3. The loss falls to Michael Dunkelburger, who drops to 1-1 on the campaign.
The Pit Spitters return to action Tuesday, with a 7:05 p.m. road tilt against the Kokomo Jackrabbits. The Pit Spitters next play at home June 27 with a 7:05 p.m. matchup with the Battle Creek Bombers. Every Thursday is "Thirsty Thursday," at Pit Spitters Park, with $2 20 oz. beers and $2 hot dogs. Gates will open at 6:00 p.m.
Tickets are available online at www.pitspitters.com. Prices are $6 for lawn and $10 for box seats. Season and group tickets are still on sale and can be purchased by calling (231) 943-0100. Season ticket options include 5-game, 10-game, half-season, and full-season packages. Each package offers different amenities including discounts on tickets, VIP parking, merchandise, early access to games, exclusive event invites and more. In addition to these packages, there are also 5-game patio table and 10-game patio table options available that include additional discounts and full wait service. Groups of 20 or more may reserve tickets for any 2019 game. They are available in the box seat and lawn sections. Groups will receive a discount on tickets, their name announced during the game and receive discounts on souvenirs and parking.
Complete schedule and ticket information including season tickets, group prices and perks is available at www.pitspitters.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Huskies Win Game Two 12-11 - Duluth Huskies
- Defense Dazzles, Rafters Drop Series Finale - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Sweep the Stingers Following Delano's Big Day - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Hold off Woodchucks for 6-5 Win - Madison Mallards
- Stingers Swept by St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Dock Spiders Can't Hang On - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Late Inning Rally Falls Short of Beating the Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Ferguson's Two Blasts Power Bucks to 7-6 Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Evens Series with Fond Du Lac - Green Bay Booyah
- Morrow Homers Twice as Pit Spitters Sweep Growlers - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Close Road Trip in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bombers Drop Second of Two to Kokomo - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Looking for Redemption on the Road - Madison Mallards
- Rox Complete Three-Game Road Stand with Win over Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
- Bucks Storm Back for 8-5 Win over Express - Waterloo Bucks
- Larks Fly by Huskies 11-3 in Game One - Duluth Huskies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Traverse City Pit Spitters Stories
- Pit Spitters Are Northwoods Champions on Walk-Off
- Pit Spitters Take Division Crown, off to Championship Game
- Pit Spitters Advance to Division Championship on Walk-Off
- Seven Run Inning Lifts Pit Spitters over Growlers in Game One
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd