Stingers Swept by St. Cloud
St. Cloud, Minn. - The Stingers were swept by the Rox in a two-game series ending in St. Cloud. The final score was 8-3 after a surge of runs in the eighth from St. Could.
Bryant Claunch (North Alabama) started for the Stingers in the series finale. He gave Willmar six strong innings and a chance to win the game. Two runs crossed the plate with Claunch on the mound, but neither one of them were earned. He tallied five strikeouts through the six innings pitched.
The Rox wasted no time in their half of the first inning, scoring right away on an infield ground ball. 1-0 Rox. It was Noah Haupt (New Mexico State) that tied the game up at 1-1 in the third with a solo home run. It wasn't until the sixth that the scoring started again. St. Cloud reclaimed the lead with a sacrifice flyout to center scoring a run. 2-1 Rox. Tyler Bosetti (Nevada) was able to use his speed to score a run on a pass ball during an Andrew Lucas (Northridge) at bat. That run evened the game at 2-2.
Chris Peres (La Verne) came into pitch the seventh inning for the Stingers. He allowed one earned run off two hits in the inning. The Rox put themselves back on top with a score of 3-2. St. Cloud ran away with the game in the bottom of the eighth. The Rox were able to drive in five runs off two hits. It was a bases clearing triple that decided the outcome of the game for the Rox. 8-2 St. Cloud. The Stingers showed some life in the ninth when Justin King (Alabama) scored Stanke on a single. But the lead was too much for the Stingers as they fell to the Rox by a final score of 8-3.
The 2019 Stingers season is presented by J.D. Kreps Financial Group. For more coverage of the Stingers visit the West Central Tribune online at www.wctrib.com.
CDI Player of the Game
CDI is your local medical imaging provider. It's your choice where you go for medical imaging, for MRI, CT, mammograms and pain injections, choose CDI. Visit online at myCDI.com/CentralMN.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Huskies Win Game Two 12-11 - Duluth Huskies
- Defense Dazzles, Rafters Drop Series Finale - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Sweep the Stingers Following Delano's Big Day - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Hold off Woodchucks for 6-5 Win - Madison Mallards
- Stingers Swept by St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Dock Spiders Can't Hang On - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Late Inning Rally Falls Short of Beating the Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Ferguson's Two Blasts Power Bucks to 7-6 Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Evens Series with Fond Du Lac - Green Bay Booyah
- Morrow Homers Twice as Pit Spitters Sweep Growlers - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Close Road Trip in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bombers Drop Second of Two to Kokomo - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Looking for Redemption on the Road - Madison Mallards
- Rox Complete Three-Game Road Stand with Win over Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
- Bucks Storm Back for 8-5 Win over Express - Waterloo Bucks
- Larks Fly by Huskies 11-3 in Game One - Duluth Huskies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.