Ferguson's Two Blasts Power Bucks to 7-6 Win
Waterloo Bucks (15-13) first baseman Patrick Ferguson (3-4, 3 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI) hammered two home runs to dead-center in a 7-6 comeback win against the Eau Claire Express (13-15) on Sunday afternoon. As the La Crosse Loggers fell to Thunder Bay earlier in the day, Waterloo holds a two-game lead in the Great Plains-East subdivision with eight games left in the first half.
The game didn't start well for Waterloo as Eau Claire scored a pair in the top half of the first. Four straight singles began the Bucks' half, as Ferguson, Blake Berry (2-4, R), Bennett Hostetler (1-2, BB, HBP) and Dylan Phillips (2-4, RBI) opened a rally. Phillips squeaked an infield single to score Ferguson, then two batters later Alex Ronnebaum (0-3, RBI, SF) lifted a game-tying sacrifice fly, bringing Berry across.
Ferguson blasted a solo homer with two outs in the second, giving Waterloo a 3-2 lead. The Express knotted the game at three in the third, setting up the Bucks for a heroic fourth inning. R.J. Teijeiro (1-4, R) and Matt Campos (1-4, R) each singled with one out, then Bryce Wooldridge (1-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI) roped a two-run double down the right field line. Ferguson promptly crushed a two-run home run.
Drew Irvine took a no-decision after going 4.0 innings of three-run ball, scattering six hits and two walks while striking out two. Jack Parkinson, coming out of the bullpen due to Monday's off day, earned the win with 4.0 innings of relief. The righthander allowed just two earned on three hits and four walks with one punchout. Closer Alec Holcomb locked down his third save with a scoreless ninth, striking out one and stranding the tying run on first.
Waterloo returns to action on Tuesday morning against La Crosse with an 11:05 a.m. start at Riverfront Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Huskies Win Game Two 12-11 - Duluth Huskies
- Defense Dazzles, Rafters Drop Series Finale - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Sweep the Stingers Following Delano's Big Day - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Hold off Woodchucks for 6-5 Win - Madison Mallards
- Stingers Swept by St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Dock Spiders Can't Hang On - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Late Inning Rally Falls Short of Beating the Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Ferguson's Two Blasts Power Bucks to 7-6 Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Evens Series with Fond Du Lac - Green Bay Booyah
- Morrow Homers Twice as Pit Spitters Sweep Growlers - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Close Road Trip in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bombers Drop Second of Two to Kokomo - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Looking for Redemption on the Road - Madison Mallards
- Rox Complete Three-Game Road Stand with Win over Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
- Bucks Storm Back for 8-5 Win over Express - Waterloo Bucks
- Larks Fly by Huskies 11-3 in Game One - Duluth Huskies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.