Roadrunners Elude Wolves
TUCSON, Arizona -- The Chicago Wolves took a lead into the final period, but fell to the Tucson Roadrunners 3-2 after a furious rally on Saturday night at Tucson Convention Center Arena.
Forwards Tomas Hyka and Brooke Macek each scored for Chicago (22-13-3-1) while goaltender Zach Fucale (0-1-0) saved 27 shots in his first start with the Wolves.
Adam Helewka scored two goals in the final nine minutes for Tucson (20-10-3-1) while Domenic Alberga also scored. Goaltender Calvin Pickard (3-0-0), working on a conditioning assignment from the NHL's Arizona Coyotes, made 28 saves in the win.
Hyka scored his fourth goal of the weekend on the Wolves' first power play of the night, tapping in a pass from Macek at the 12:39 mark of the first period.
Alberga tied things up at 16:10, executing on a passing play with his linemates. The Roadrunners entered the zone and made two quick passes before Alberga shot the puck under Fucale's pads.
The game stayed deadlocked until the 13:20 mark of the second period when Macek scored his 18th of the year. Forward Daniel Carr scooped the puck up behind the Tucson net, fed it to Gage Quinney in front and he dished a pass to Macek in the high slot for a snipe past Pickard.
Helewka tallied consecutive goals in the third period to lift the Roadrunners to a win, first capitalizing on a Tucson power play at 11:20 before potting the go-ahead goal at 14:47 when he powered past the defense and stuffed the puck under Fucale.
The Wolves return to Allstate Arena on Wednesday, Jan. 16, to face the Grand Rapids Griffins. To be a part of the Craft Beer Arena Crawl, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2019
- Sens Beaten by Griffins as Teams Tie Season Series - Belleville Senators
- Barracuda Edge Heat 2-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey Takes Sunday Rematch over Phantoms 5-4 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stockton Stifled by San Jose in 2-1 Loss Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Bears Sweep Home-And-Home Stretch with 5-4 Win over Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Stun P-Bruins with Late OT Goal - Providence Bruins
- Coyotes Recall Pickard from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hunt's Buzzer-Beater Downs Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Canucks Reassign Adam Gaudette to the Comets - Utica Comets
- Penguins Sign Hirano and Lacroix to AHL Contracts - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Defenseman Davidson Assigned to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Head to San Jose for Sunday Matinee - Stockton Heat
- Blues Recall Nolan, Kyrou from Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Helewka's Two Give Roadrunners Late Edge in 3-2 Win over Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Schroeder Nets Two as Comeback Falls Short - Rockford IceHogs
- Reign Run out of Comebacks in OT Loss - Ontario Reign
- Rampage Down IceHogs to Extend Home Win Streak - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Elude Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Lazar Nets Winner as Heat Close Home Stand with OT Win - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.