Sens Beaten by Griffins as Teams Tie Season Series
The Grand Rapids Griffins scored four power play goals as they beat the Belleville Senators 5-2 Saturday night.
The Senators had goals from Logan Brown and Morgan Klimchuk while Filip Gustavsson made 21 saves in his third straight start. The Griffins' Turner Elson, Wade Megan, Vili Saarijarvi, Matt Puempel and Axel Holmstrom scored while Harri Sateri turned aside 41 shots.
The Griffins dominated the first period and finally found a breakthrough at 15:28 through Elson who took advantage of a broken play to beat Gustavsson short-side for his 12th of the year. After Belleville's Max McCormick was denied by the blocker of Sateri on a short-handed breakaway, the hosts extended its lead to 2-0 through Megan who had his stick on the ice to convert Carter Camper's pass on the man advantage.
It was all Belleville to open the second period and were rewarded at 5:52 through Brown who unleashed a deadly wrist shot from the left faceoff circle on the power play for his seventh of the year before Klimchuk notched his first goal as a Senator as he beat Sateri from distance on a shot that hit the post and went in 2:30 later.
However, the Griffins settled down and penalized the Senators penalty kill with three straight power play goals through Saarijarvi, Puempel and Holmstrom within a 2:34 span to make it 5-2.
Belleville put up 24 shots in the third period but were unable to find a way past Sateri as he stiffled the Sens offence. The closest the third period came to a goal was on a short-handed effort by Elson but he saw his shot bounce off the post.
Sens defenceman Julius Bergman registered his 50th career AHL assist in the game. The Griffins' win meant the two teams split the season series 2-2.
Belleville is in action again Wednesday when they face Laval and the Sens return home on Jan. 25 to host Toronto. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2019
- Sens Beaten by Griffins as Teams Tie Season Series - Belleville Senators
- Barracuda Edge Heat 2-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey Takes Sunday Rematch over Phantoms 5-4 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stockton Stifled by San Jose in 2-1 Loss Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Bears Sweep Home-And-Home Stretch with 5-4 Win over Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Stun P-Bruins with Late OT Goal - Providence Bruins
- Coyotes Recall Pickard from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hunt's Buzzer-Beater Downs Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Canucks Reassign Adam Gaudette to the Comets - Utica Comets
- Penguins Sign Hirano and Lacroix to AHL Contracts - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Defenseman Davidson Assigned to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Head to San Jose for Sunday Matinee - Stockton Heat
- Blues Recall Nolan, Kyrou from Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Helewka's Two Give Roadrunners Late Edge in 3-2 Win over Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Schroeder Nets Two as Comeback Falls Short - Rockford IceHogs
- Reign Run out of Comebacks in OT Loss - Ontario Reign
- Rampage Down IceHogs to Extend Home Win Streak - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Elude Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Lazar Nets Winner as Heat Close Home Stand with OT Win - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.