Bears Sweep Home-And-Home Stretch with 5-4 Win over Phantoms
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears completed a home-and-home sweep over the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in a 5-4 win at Giant Center on Sunday night. Brian Pinho scored an insurance marker in the third period which turned into his first professional game-winning goal.
Both teams jumped out of the starting gate with a combined five goals in the opening period. The Bears chased Phantoms goaltender Branden Komm from the game after scoring three times on four shots within 6:36. Nathan Walker started the scoring for the Chocolate and White only 37 seconds in after redirecting a Joey Leach shot from the center point. Leach's assist marked his first point of the season in his 11th game with the Bears.
Only 42 seconds later, the Bears doubled their advantage to 2-0 on another redirection from in close. Liam O'Brien tipped a Riley Barber shot from a sharp angle at 1:19. Barber's helper extended his current point streak to five games.
Taylor Leier returned to the lineup for Lehigh Valley after missing last night's game, and cut the Phantoms deficit to 2-1 at 3:39. Leier threw the puck on goal from an angle and received a fortunate bounce off the inside of Vitek Vanecek's leg pad and into the net.
Mike Sgarbossa officially chased Komm from the game with a wrist shot at 6:36 for his 17th goal of the season. Before the period expired, Leier once again brought Lehigh Valley within one goal after scoring on the power play for his second of the night at 14:13. Shots after 20 minutes were 12-9 Phantoms with the Bears in front, 3-2.
Next period, Lehigh Valley pulled even, but the Bears grabbed a 4-3 lead before second intermission. Connor Bunnman tied the score at 3-3 after directing a back door pass from Nic Aube-Kubel into an open net at the 3:48 mark. At 14:29, Connor Hobbs finished a crisp one-time pass from Juuso Ikonen for his second goal of the season at 14:29. Hobbs' goal gave the Bears a 4-3 advantage, and Lyon became the goaltender of record on the short end. Shots after 40 minutes were 19-17 Phantoms.
Into the third period, Pinho hit pay-dirt from the low-slot after Lyon dropped an initial shot from Hobbs at 1:53. Hershey's 5-3 lead held until the final minutes, when Lehigh Valley elected to pull Lyon for the extra attacker. Mike Vecchione scored at 18:34 to pull the Phantoms within 5-4, but the Bears held on successfully. Final shots on goal were 27-24 Phantoms. Hershey improves their record to 17-20-0-2 on the season following a 2-1-0-0 weekend.
The Hershey Bears return to the ice on Wednesday, January 16 with a 7:05 p.m. tilt against the Binghamton Devils. It's the Bears lone visit to Binghamton this season. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch will have the call on the Bears Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2019
- Sens Beaten by Griffins as Teams Tie Season Series - Belleville Senators
- Barracuda Edge Heat 2-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey Takes Sunday Rematch over Phantoms 5-4 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stockton Stifled by San Jose in 2-1 Loss Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Bears Sweep Home-And-Home Stretch with 5-4 Win over Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Stun P-Bruins with Late OT Goal - Providence Bruins
- Coyotes Recall Pickard from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hunt's Buzzer-Beater Downs Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Canucks Reassign Adam Gaudette to the Comets - Utica Comets
- Penguins Sign Hirano and Lacroix to AHL Contracts - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Defenseman Davidson Assigned to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Head to San Jose for Sunday Matinee - Stockton Heat
- Blues Recall Nolan, Kyrou from Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Helewka's Two Give Roadrunners Late Edge in 3-2 Win over Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Schroeder Nets Two as Comeback Falls Short - Rockford IceHogs
- Reign Run out of Comebacks in OT Loss - Ontario Reign
- Rampage Down IceHogs to Extend Home Win Streak - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Elude Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Lazar Nets Winner as Heat Close Home Stand with OT Win - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bruce Boudreau Brings USPHL Junior Hockey Team to Hershey
- Hershey Bears to Host GIANT Drive-Thru Teddy Bear Toss Saturday, January 23
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season
- Bears Promote Riedel to Head Athletic Trainer
- Bears Assign Six to South Carolina Stingrays