Schroeder Nets Two as Comeback Falls Short
San Antonio, Tex. - Jordan Schroeder scored twice in the third period to spark a late push for the IceHogs, but they were ultimately unable to overcome their two-goal deficit as they fell to the San Antonio Rampage 4-3 Saturday night at AT&T Center.
The IceHogs entered the final frame trailing 3-1. Schroeder cut the Rockford deficit in half at the 4:23 mark of the stanza, firing a shot from in tight to the top shelf after a clean faceoff win from Luke Johnson.
San Antonio's Jordan Nolan tallied his second goal of the night with 11:05 remaining to give the Rampage their two-goal lead back. Nolan beat Rockford goaltender Anton Forsberg high to the blocker side with a wrister on the rush.
Schroeder scored from in tight once again with just 11 seconds remaining, putting Rockford within striking distance, but the Rampage were able to weather the IceHogs' final push.
Dylan Sikura scored the IceHogs lone goal prior to the third period. Sikura now has four points in three games since returning from his stint with the Chicago Blackhawks.
The IceHogs will cap off their Texas road trip with a rematch against the Rampage Tuesday night in San Antonio.
NEXT HOME GAME: Jan. 18 vs. Grand Rapids Griffins | 7 p.m.
The IceHogs take the Grand Rapids Griffins on Fleece Blanket Giveaway Night. The first 2,500 fans in attendance will receive a free IceHogs fleece blanket, courtesy of Dental Dimensions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2019
- Sens Beaten by Griffins as Teams Tie Season Series - Belleville Senators
- Barracuda Edge Heat 2-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Hershey Takes Sunday Rematch over Phantoms 5-4 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stockton Stifled by San Jose in 2-1 Loss Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Bears Sweep Home-And-Home Stretch with 5-4 Win over Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Stun P-Bruins with Late OT Goal - Providence Bruins
- Coyotes Recall Pickard from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hunt's Buzzer-Beater Downs Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Canucks Reassign Adam Gaudette to the Comets - Utica Comets
- Penguins Sign Hirano and Lacroix to AHL Contracts - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Defenseman Davidson Assigned to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Head to San Jose for Sunday Matinee - Stockton Heat
- Blues Recall Nolan, Kyrou from Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Helewka's Two Give Roadrunners Late Edge in 3-2 Win over Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Schroeder Nets Two as Comeback Falls Short - Rockford IceHogs
- Reign Run out of Comebacks in OT Loss - Ontario Reign
- Rampage Down IceHogs to Extend Home Win Streak - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Elude Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Lazar Nets Winner as Heat Close Home Stand with OT Win - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Get a Free IceHogs Block Figurine at LEGO/Autism Awareness Night
- Blackhawks Night Returns to Rockford on Friday, February 7
- $5 Kids Tickets, Console, Poster and Popsocket Giveaways Highlight Monday Matinee
- IceHogs Unveil Specialty Jerseys for Autism Awareness/LEGO Night January 25
- IceHogs Announce Schedule Change with Admirals