Roadrunners Earn Earliest 30th Win In Team History With Controlling Effort In Colorado
A three-goal first period paved the way to the Roadrunners 30thwin of the season Wednesday night, taking a 5-2 victory from the Colorado Eagles in a snowy Loveland.
The Roadrunners found themselves behind the eight ball to start the contest, as a defensive zone miscue resulted in the Eagles striking on the very first shot of the game just 2:39 in.
Fortunately Tucson would have a quick response to the Eagles tone-setter though, as just 24 hours after joining the 20-goal club Brayden Burke extended his league-high point streak to nine games with his 21st of the season on the first power play of the night. Beau Bennett won a faceoff back to Jordan Gross at the right point, who then cycled the puck over to Burke, who wristed a shot low past an overcommitting Hunter Miska from the left circle.
Burke's marker also gave Steve Potvin's power play a seventh straight game with a goal, extending their already team-high run.
For the visiting side it would be the first of three unanswered before the first period buzzer sounded, with the second and third coming from Michael Bunting and Kyle Capobianco.
Bunting's tally came following a setup from Barrett Hayton and Burke, then Capobianco scored from almost the exact same spot as the team's leader in points, inside the blocker-side circle to make it 3-1 just two seconds after a power play chance ended.
Like the first, Colorado would once again score on their opening shot in the second period to pull back within one.
The positive note to follow was that it would be the final one that got by Ivan Prosvetov on the night, as the rookie would finish with a 31-save effort for his 13th win of the season.
Tucson would tack on two more to their scoring before all things were said and done, one from Andy Miele on a wonderful seeing-eye feed from Capobianco late in the second period and then a bouncing shot from the point from Jordan Gross in the third to reach the 5-2 final.
Five Roadrunners (Bunting, Burke, Capobianco, Gross and Hayton) all finished with multiple points as the team reached their fastest 30th win in team history. Previously, the team's quickest run to 30 wins was March 2 of 2018.
The Roadrunners will now travel back to California Friday for a Saturday meeting against Stockton and a Monday matchup against San Jose.
THEY SAID IT
"They scored the goal early but we stuck to our game. I think we've been playing well and finally we got a good result out of that."
Roadrunners defenseman Jordan Gross expressing his team's relief following tonight's game.
DON'T OVERLOOK IT
The Roadrunners brought the same effort that they did Friday in San Diego, Saturday in Ontario, last night in Loveland and tonight it paid dividends.
While they were assisted by Colorado's seven trips to the penalty box, the persistent effort throughout, combined with minimized mistakes and fewer power plays for the opposition, it was all in all a good recipe for success.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2020
- Wolves Score Five Straight to Win - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Fall to Wolves to Start Roadtrip - Milwaukee Admirals
- Coyotes Recall Hayton; Assign Ness to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Announce Two Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Murray Thriving in Third Year with Sens - Belleville Senators
- San Diego Gulls Sign Defenseman Keegan Kanzig to PTO - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Assign a Pair of Forwards to ECHL - San Jose Barracuda
- Collin Delia Bobblehead Night Slated for Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Recall Left Wing Jason Robertson from Texas - Texas Stars
- Bears Re-Assign Wittchow to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Late Push Earns Reign Win - Ontario Reign
- Roadrunners Earn Earliest 30th Win In Team History With Controlling Effort In Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Earn Point in OT Loss to Heat - San Jose Barracuda
- Currie Scores His 99th AHL Goal in Condors 4-2 Setback - Bakersfield Condors
- Philp Finishes Comeback Bid as Heat Earn OT Win - Stockton Heat
- Roadrunners Trip up Eagles, 5-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Moose Tipped by Rockford - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Put in Solid Effort But Slip 3-2 against Comets - Laval Rocket
- Admirals Shoot Down Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.