Road Warriors: 'Blades Outlast Solar Bears in Shootout Victory
ESTERO, Fla. - Nathan Perkovich scored twice in regulation, and he and Blake Winiecki both struck in the shootout, to help the Florida Everblades outlast the Orlando Solar Bears, 5-4, in a shootout on Wednesday night at the Amway Center.
In the final meeting between the two teams in Orlando, the Solar Bears (33-21-4-1, 71 pts.) overcame a three-goal deficit to force overtime, but Florida (43-15-5-0, 91 pts.) won the shootout, 2-1, to equal its longest winning streak of the season with its sixth straight victory.
Florida scored first for the seventh time in 10 games against Orlando. Pressuring in the offensive zone on the forecheck, Shane Walsh picked off a pass in the slot and then snuck his shot past Orlando goaltender Connor Ingram just seven minutes, 46 seconds into the first.
Orlando tied the score at one on the ninth goal of the year from Troy Bourke. After a shot from Otto Somppi deflected off bodies in the slot, Bourke gathered the puck and slid it low past the blocker side of Florida rookie netminder Jeremy Helvig.
Florida grabbed the lead back by scoring three straight times, which included a power-play goal from Philippe Hudon to give the 'Blades a 2-1 lead. From the near wall, Logan Roe fed Patrick McCarron in the high slot, and McCarron ripped a shot on goal. Hudon deflected the shot from the low slot with 7:47 left in the first for his first career pro goal.
Perkovich netted each of the next two goals to turn it into a 4-1 Florida lead. The veteran forward forced a turnover along the right goal line extended to start the sequence on his first goal. He made Ingram lunge out for the puck and then went to his backhand to slide it into the vacated net at the 5:56 mark of the second.
On a power play less than a minute and a half later, Perkovich scored again to increase the lead to three. His shot from the inside edge of the left circle clipped Orlando defenseman Kevin Lohan and tumbled past Ingram, which ended his night and brought in backup goaltender Corbin Boes.
Orlando scored three straight goals to tie the game before the second intermission. Tayler Thompson started the comeback with a turnaround shot from the slot with 5:45 to play in the second.
With a delayed penalty call coming against Florida, Otto Somppi redirected Kevin Lohan's initial shot from the high slot while standing at the side of the net to bring the game back within one only 47 seconds after Thompson's goal.
Cody Donaghey then evened the game at four with a five-on-three power-play strike with 22 seconds to play in the middle frame.
After a scoreless third period and overtime session, Perkovich scored in the shootout's first round and Winiecki scored in the second round to lift the 'Blades to the win.
In addition to stopping two of the three shots in the shootout, Helvig made 26 saves during regulation to earn his fifth straight win, his 23rd victory of the season.
Perkovich's two-goal game was his fourth of the season and third in his last six contests.
Florida has the day off on Thursday before facing the Atlanta Gladiators on Friday at Infinite Energy Arena. The game gets underway at 7:35 p.m. ET.
Ticket packages for the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs presented by Smile Direct Club and 2019-20 Season Tickets and Flexible Packages are on sale now!
Join the FUN and 'Blades FAMILY by SAVING with Season Tickets or a Flexible Package that fit into your schedule and budget, plus receive FREE gifts and benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new Season Ticket or Flexible Package for the 2019-20 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private tours of Hertz Arena are available to select your season seats! Call the Florida Everblades Front Office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 13, 2019
- Road Warriors: 'Blades Outlast Solar Bears in Shootout Victory - Florida Everblades
- Gladiators Prevail in 11-Round Shootout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Atlanta Erases Three Goal Deficit and Takes Win in Epic 11-Round Shootout - Atlanta Gladiators
- Gosselin Wins It for 'Clones in First Pro Game - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Skinner Returns; Edmondson Signed to SPC - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 13 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspensions - ECHL
- Canisius College D Jimmy Mazza Signs with Royals - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adirondack Adds Forward Hans Gorowsky; Riley Returns - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Care Foundation Donates $5,000 to CMC Breast Care Center - Manchester Monarchs
- Former NHLer Jared Ross Re-Signs with Atlanta - Atlanta Gladiators
- 'Blades Sign Dickman to ATO; Wade Returns from AHL - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cyclones Add Defenseman Gosselin - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Americans and Oilers Meet for the Final Time this Season - Allen Americans
- Keserich and Oilers Dominate Americans 4-0 - Allen Americans
- Oilers Blank Americans 4-0 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- 'Blades Weekly: One Sweep Down; Home Opener on the Horizon
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win
- Everblades Announce 2019-20 Season-Opening Roster
- WJBX News, Talk & More Returns as Broadcast Home of the 'Blades