River Cats drop finale but leave Fresno with series win
West Sacramento, Calif. - The Sacramento River Cats (21-23) dropped a nail-biter in extras 4-3 to the Fresno Grizzlies (23-21) on Monday night. They do leave town with a series victory, though, now two back of first place in the Pacific North Division.
Starter Enderson Franco turned in a phenomenal effort across six innings, giving up just two hits with four strikeouts. Unfortunately for the right-hander, both hits left they yard - solo shots off the bats of Brandon Snyder and Carter Kieboom. Franco retired 11-straight Fresno hitters to start the game before allowing the home run to Snyder.
First baseman Austin Slater once again powered the River Cats offense, reaching base four times and scoring two runs. A pair of costly defensive miscue put the River Cats behind the eight ball late, opening the door for the Grizzlies to force extras and walk off on a sacrifice fly from Bengie Gonzalez.
Right-hander Yoanys Quiala (0-2, 4.95) will toe the rubber for the River Cats back at Raley Field in Tuesday's series opener against the Salt Lake Bees Salt Lake will go with left-hander Dillon Peters (1-0, 5.04). First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, or on Money 105.5 FM.
- Austin Slater has now reached base safely in 17 of 19 games during the month of May. Slater has the sixth-best on base percentage in the Pacific Coast League at .448.
- Four of the River Cats nine games with Fresno this year have resulted in extra innings. Sacramento is 1-3 in extra-inning games against Fresno and 3-4 overall this season in extras.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Round Rock Rocks Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Outlast Baby Cakes, 6-5 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds' Seventh Inning Helps End Skid - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds' Winning Streak Snapped at Four - Nashville Sounds
- Tuesday's Chasers-Cubs Contest Postponed - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- I-Cubs and Storm Chasers Postponed Tuesday - Iowa Cubs
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (17-26) vs. Memphis Redbirds (21-23) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-23) at Nashville Sounds (17-26) - Memphis Redbirds
- Kevin Cron Wins Pacific Coast League Player of the Week - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Homestand Highlights May 21-29 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Stung by Nashville in 12-Inning Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Fresno finishes series with 4-3 walk-off win over Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Bees Strikeout Franchise Record 19 in Win - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats drop finale but leave Fresno with series win - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Scoring in 21-10 Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Squeeze Past Isotopes, 21-10 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Rally for Extra-Inning Win in Texas - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics