Dodgers Outlast Baby Cakes, 6-5
Will Smith hit two home runs on Tuesday night as the Oklahoma City Dodgers defeated the New Orleans Baby Cakes, 6-5.
Hector Noesi, whose 2.31 ERA entering the game ranked third in the Pacific Coast League, was taken deep by Smith in the third and fifth innings as the Dodgers built a 4-1 advantage.
Isan Diaz drew the 'Cakes within one with a two-out, two-run double into the right field corner in the seventh, but the Dodgers answered with a pair of runs in the eighth, capitalizing on the third New Orleans error of the night.
The Baby Cakes got an RBI single from Matt Snyder in the eighth and had one more rally in them in the bottom of the ninth, as Wilkin Castillo led off with a pinch single, went to third on Diaz's single and scored on a wild pitch. Walks to JT Riddle and Lewis Brinson loaded the bases with one out, but Yadiel Rivera's sharply-hit grounder was fielded cleanly by Dodgers shortstop Daniel Castro, who started a game-ending double play.
Noesi (4-2) took the loss after allowing four runs - three earned - and six hits in five innings.
Daniel Corcino (3-1) limited the 'Cakes to one run and three hits in five innings to earn the win as Oklahoma City claimed its third victory in five tries at the Shrine this season.
Diaz reached base in all five plate appearances for New Orleans, collecting a single, a double, two walks and a hit by pitch.
The teams continue the four-game set on Wednesday at 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Round Rock Rocks Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Outlast Baby Cakes, 6-5 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds' Seventh Inning Helps End Skid - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds' Winning Streak Snapped at Four - Nashville Sounds
- Tuesday's Chasers-Cubs Contest Postponed - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- I-Cubs and Storm Chasers Postponed Tuesday - Iowa Cubs
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (17-26) vs. Memphis Redbirds (21-23) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-23) at Nashville Sounds (17-26) - Memphis Redbirds
- Kevin Cron Wins Pacific Coast League Player of the Week - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Homestand Highlights May 21-29 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Stung by Nashville in 12-Inning Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Fresno finishes series with 4-3 walk-off win over Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Bees Strikeout Franchise Record 19 in Win - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats drop finale but leave Fresno with series win - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Scoring in 21-10 Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Squeeze Past Isotopes, 21-10 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Rally for Extra-Inning Win in Texas - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.