Bees Strikeout Franchise Record 19 in Win
SALT LAKE CITY - Salt Lake pitchers struck out a franchise-record 19 batters as the Bees won the final game of their series against the Las Vegas Aviators 9-6.
Andrew Heaney, on a MLB injury rehab assignment from the Angels, started the K parade by striking out 10 over four and one-third innings without allowing a run. It was the first 10+ strikeout game for a Bees pitcher since June 28, 2017. John Curtiss (1-0) struck out three following Heaney and Sam Freeman and Jake Jewell both recorded all three of their outs via strikeout to top the old record of 16 for a nine inning game set on June 12, 2007 against Colorado Springs.
Catcher Dustin Garneau was behind the plate for all 19 Ks and lead the Bees offensively hitting a pair of home runs and driving in four. Jose Rojas hit the Bees sixth grand slam of the season in the seventh inning and Jarrett Parker blasted a solo home run for the second consecutive day. With the win the Bees took four out of five games from Las Vegas during the series and have now won nine of their last 10 contests overall.
The Bees take to the road on Tuesday to start a four-game series in Sacramento, before returning home on Saturday to take on Tacoma for a four-game Memorial Weekend series at Smith's Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Round Rock Rocks Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Outlast Baby Cakes, 6-5 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds' Seventh Inning Helps End Skid - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds' Winning Streak Snapped at Four - Nashville Sounds
- Tuesday's Chasers-Cubs Contest Postponed - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- I-Cubs and Storm Chasers Postponed Tuesday - Iowa Cubs
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (17-26) vs. Memphis Redbirds (21-23) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-23) at Nashville Sounds (17-26) - Memphis Redbirds
- Kevin Cron Wins Pacific Coast League Player of the Week - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Homestand Highlights May 21-29 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Stung by Nashville in 12-Inning Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Fresno finishes series with 4-3 walk-off win over Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Bees Strikeout Franchise Record 19 in Win - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats drop finale but leave Fresno with series win - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Scoring in 21-10 Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Squeeze Past Isotopes, 21-10 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Rally for Extra-Inning Win in Texas - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salt Lake Bees Stories
- Los Angeles Angels Extend Invitations to Four Minor League Affiliates
- Salt Lake Bees Rank in MiLB Top 25 Merchandise Sales
- Salt Lake Bees Statement on Minor League Baseball
- Larry H. Miller Group of Companies Announces Massive Food Drive at LHM Dealerships, Megaplex Theatres and Sports Facilities
- MiLB Launches CommUNITY First Campaign