Reno Aces Game Notes 9.2.18 vs. Albuquerque
Today's Game: Just two more games remain left in this 2018 regular season campaign. The Aces went over the 70-win mark last night and look to go ahead in the final four-game series with a win tonight. Reno will start reliever Randall Delgado (0-1, 2.40) tonight. Delgado made five starts with the Arizona Diamondbacks last season and has made 178 total in his career. His last start came this year in Visalia (1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R) on April 7th. He'll square off against Albuquerque right-hander Peter Lambert (2-5, 5.54) in the penultimate game of the season.
Last Game: In game two between the Isotopes and Aces, Reno came away victory by a score of 4-2. Starting pitcher Neftali Feliz out-dueled Sam Howard, tossing 6.0 quality innings, and only allowed one run on four hits while striking out five Isotope batters. The effort allowed Feliz to earn his sixth win of the season. Offensively, Reno was led by Kevin Cron who went 2-for-4, with three RBI and a double. The victory improves the Aces to a record of 70-68 and remains second in the Pacific Northern division.
In The House: Willie Bloomquist, a 14-year Major League veteran who spent three seasons in Arizona, is a special assistant to D-backs' president and CEO Derrick Hall. Bloomquist is at Greater Nevada Field tonight signing autographs for fans and assisting with the infielders. In his duties with Arizona, he assists Hall and other departments on both the baseball and business sides of the organization, including attending community events, meeting with corporate partners, coaching during Spring Training and visiting Minor League affiliates throughout the season.
Havin' A Record Year: Ildemaro Vargas is having a record-setting season. The All-PCL and All-Star shortstop has recorded 164 hits this season which is one more than Chris Carter (2007) for 7th-most by an Aces player in a single-season. His 386 career Aces hits place him second overall in Aces history behind Cole Gillespie (399). Although these records may be out of reach in 2018, in his last two seasons in an Aces uniform he has set new career-highs.
Position Player Pitching: The Aces have seen quite a few position players pitch this season. Kristopher Negron has toed the rubber two times, Daniel Robertson twice and Cody Decker four times. On this day in 2002, Diamondbacks All-Star first baseman Mark Grace tossed an inning of relief for Arizona. He retired three of the four batters he faced at Bank One Ballpark, yielding a two-out home run to David Ross. All three Aces position players to pitch this season have allowed one homer.
Best vs. Best: Christian Walker is one of the best players to ever wear an Aces uniform. The 2017 Pacific Coast League MVP has split time with Arizona and Reno this season and hit home runs wherever he is asked to play. Last night, Christian Walker got a pinch-hit at-bat against one of the best pitchers in the game, Clayton Kershaw. Walker hit an 89 MPH four-seam fastball 427 feet for a home run. Walker also homered against Kershaw on May 1 at Chase Field, and that homer landed in someone's dinner at Friday's Front Row Grill, traveling a projected 479 feet, which is the longest homer hit off Kershaw since Statcast began tracking in 2015. In his career against the Dodgers Ace, Walker is 2-for-2 with two home runs.
70+: For the 8th time in 10 seasons, the Aces squad has won at least 70 games. Only 2010 (69-74) and 2013 (60-84) did not yield 70+ win seasons. Reno has been to the playoffs four times in franchise history. Each time the team made it to the playoffs, the Aces had finished the Regular season with at least 77 wins.
Sub 2:30: The Aces have played just 10 9-inning games this season in less than two and a half hours. Last night, Reno defeated the Isotopes, 4-2, in two hours and 23 min. The this is the second time Reno has played a game in 2:23 this season (last, 6/6 @ Nashville).
Shortest 9-inning Reno Aces Games of 2018
1. 5/15 vs. ELP - 2:03
2. 5/19 @ ABQ - 2:18
3. 7/7 vs. SAC - 2:18
4. 7/24 @ NO - 2:18
5. 4/26 @ SAC - 2:21
6. 6/6 @ NAS - 2:23
7. 9/1 vs. ABQ - 2:23 (Last Night)
8. 6/10 @ MEM - 2:27
9. 7/18 vs. TAC - 2:28
10. 5/12 vs. ELP - 2:30
2019 Schedule: The Aces released their 2019 regular season schedule this week. Included on the Aces schedule are home dates on Memorial Day (May 27) and Independence Day (July 4). The Reno Aces will open up their 2019 campaign on the road with a five-game series against the Pacific Northern Division champion Fresno Grizzlies on April 4th through 8th.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2018
- In 7-0 Shutout, Bees Tie Franchise Record with 16 K - Salt Lake Bees
- Mejia Leads Hot Bats as Chihuahuas Earn 9-4 Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Rainiers Toppled By Chihuahuas, 9-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Cakes Chase Down Storm Chasers Late - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Squeak Past Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Cakes Take Penultimate Tussle, 6-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Hang Tight for 2-1 Win at Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Memphis Redbirds (82-56) at Nashville Sounds (71-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Tops Iowa, 7-5 - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Holds off Iowa in 7-5 Win - Round Rock Express
- Reno Aces Game Notes 9.2.18 vs. Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (82-56) at Nashville Sounds (71-67) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - September 2, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Big fifth inning pushes River Cats to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Reach 70 Wins in 4-2 Victory over Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Chasers Top Baby Cakes 3-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Fresno beats Salt Lake 8-2 as offense explodes for second straight night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall to Aces in Howard's Solid Outing - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Upended in 10 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Rainiers Top Chihuahuas In Extras, 5-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- September Starts with Loss for Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Dodgers and Sky Sox Suspended Saturday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dodgers and Sky Sox Suspended Saturday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Baby Cakes Fall to Storm Chasers, 3-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada