Redbirds' Late Push Comes up Short at San Antonio
SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Down 5-0, the Memphis Redbirds (21-20) scored three runs in the top of the eighth inning and then had the tying run on base in the ninth, but the San Antonio Missions (Brewers) finished off a 5-3 win Friday night in San Antonio, Texas.
Memphis began to rally with a three-spot in the eighth, as Andrew Knizner doubled home Kramer Robertson and then trotted home on an Adolis Garcia home run, his 11th of the season. The hit was Robertson's first at the Triple-A level.
After Chasen Shreve shut down San Antonio (24-17) with a perfect eighth inning that included two strikeouts, Max Schrock singled with one out in the ninth to represent the tying run. But pinch-hitter Tyler O'Neill and Tommy Edman struck out to end the ballgame.
The Redbirds fell behind 5-0 after four innings, which finished Daniel Ponce de Leon's day on the mound. He allowed five runs on five hits in 3.2 innings. Coupled with San Antonio's offense, rehabbing Jimmy Nelson shut down Memphis in 5.2 innings on the mound. He gave up just three hits, and he struck out eight.
The Redbirds fanned 15 times at the plate in the game.
After Ponce de Leon, Chris Ellis, Ryan Meisinger, and Shreve pitched the final 4.1 innings in shutout fashion, allowing only two hits, to set up the comeback attempt.
Rangel Ravelo extended his hitting streak to 12 games, finishing 2-for-4. In addition to his home run, Garcia also had a single and two outfield assists at second base.
The Redbirds are in San Antonio through a day game on Monday, before heading to Nashville until the end of next week. Memphis is back at AutoZone Park on Saturday, May 25.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Saturday, May 25 at 6:35 p.m.: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game
Sunday, May 26 at 6:35 p.m.: special Memorial Day edition of postgame fireworks presented by Tennessee Lottery; Memorial Day Weekend Cookout specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/memorialday; Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air
Monday, May 27 at 1:05 p.m. (doubleheader): Memorial Day doubleheader (one ticket is good for both games); Memorial Day Cookout specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/memorialday
Wednesday, May 29 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, May 30 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs
Friday, May 31 at 7:05: All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket option featuring a two-hour all-you-can-eat beef sliders buffet available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat
Saturday, June 1 at 6:35 p.m.: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game
Sunday, June 2 at 2:05 p.m.: Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Chasers Outslug Dodgers 11-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- New Orleans Bats Overpower Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds' Late Push Comes up Short at San Antonio - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Get Three HR in Road W - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Friday's Salt Lake Bees Game Postponed - Salt Lake Bees
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Brendan Rodgers Promoted to Rockies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-14) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-19) at San Antonio Missions (23-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Omaha Potholes Night" Named Minor League Baseball's Promotion of the Month for April - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes vs. Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Sounds Return Home Tuesday for 13-Day, 14-Game Homestand at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Winning Again in Walk-Off Fashion - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Defeat Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers, Aces Combine for 31 Hits in Slugfest at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Rattle off Season-Highs in Runs and Hits in Blowout Victory at Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chihuahuas Quieted by Albuquerque's Strong Start - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Bats Strike for 10 Runs in Victory over El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Yordan Alvarez Shines, Fuels 10-4 Express Victory - Round Rock Express
- Flying Chanclas Walk off on Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.