New Orleans Bats Overpower Iowa
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (25-17) rallied but couldn't complete the comeback as they fell to the New Orleans Baby Cakes (22-20) 9-5, Friday at Principal Park.
A Lewis Brinson homer put the Baby Cakes up 2-0 in the first and New Orleans never trailed in the game. Iowa quickly cut the lead with a run in the second as Jim Adduci singled and Jacob Hannemann doubled to plate a run.
Adbert Alzolay made his 2019 I-Cubs debut after wrestling with injuries over the last year. The righty allowed six runs, five earned, on four hits and three walks while striking out six. New Orleans did most of the further damage in the fourth on a three-run Yadiel Rivera homer.
Robel Garcia smacked his first Triple-A home run in the sixth to make up ground for the I-Cubs and the Iowa offense stay hot in his wake. Phillip Evans reached on a single and Ian Happ doubled to put two runners into scoring position with one away. A wild pitch plated the second run of the frame and an Adduci single brought in another. A base hit from Francisco Arcia plated one more as Iowa pulled within a run.
The Baby Cakes' offense kept the I-Cubs at bay with a run in the seventh and two in the eighth. Rivera hit his second homer of the game as part of the eighth-inning scoring drive as New Orleans secured the victory.
- Ian Happ went 1-for-4 with a double, his first extra-base hit since May 5.
- Rowan Wick gave Iowa 2.0 scoreless innings out of the bullpen to drop his ERA to 2.84.
- Jim Adduci, Phillip Evans and Jacob Hannemann all recorded two-hit games.
Iowa and New Orleans meet for a 4:38 first pitch tomorrow at Principal Park. Promotions include Pre-Game Catch on the Field and a post-game showing of Field of Dreams on the video board. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Chasers Outslug Dodgers 11-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- New Orleans Bats Overpower Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds' Late Push Comes up Short at San Antonio - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Get Three HR in Road W - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Friday's Salt Lake Bees Game Postponed - Salt Lake Bees
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Brendan Rodgers Promoted to Rockies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-14) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-19) at San Antonio Missions (23-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Omaha Potholes Night" Named Minor League Baseball's Promotion of the Month for April - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes vs. Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Sounds Return Home Tuesday for 13-Day, 14-Game Homestand at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Winning Again in Walk-Off Fashion - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Defeat Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers, Aces Combine for 31 Hits in Slugfest at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Rattle off Season-Highs in Runs and Hits in Blowout Victory at Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chihuahuas Quieted by Albuquerque's Strong Start - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Bats Strike for 10 Runs in Victory over El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Yordan Alvarez Shines, Fuels 10-4 Express Victory - Round Rock Express
- Flying Chanclas Walk off on Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.