Rainiers, Aces Combine for 31 Hits in Slugfest at Greater Nevada Field
Reno, Nevada - It was not the best night for the Reno Aces at Greater Nevada Field. The Aces dropped game one of the five-game set to the Tacoma Rainiers 14-5. Tacoma set a season-best 23 hits tonight, the most Reno pitching has allowed in 2019. Taylor Widener was tagged with the loss, dropping him to 2-3 on the young season. Kevin Cron launched his team-leading 17th home run with two in the game. Tim Locastro was plunked three times. The loss is Reno's eighth consecutive - one shy of the franchise record - and brings their overall record to 14-26 on the year.
The Aces jumped out to a quick 3-1 after inning one courtesy of a Kevin Cron home run and an RBI-single off the bat of Caleb Joseph. The Rainiers' did not let the lead last long as they hung eight runs on the home team in the fourth, one in the fifth, three in the sixth and one in the eighth. Shed Long led Tacoma with four hits on the night including an a sixth-inning solo home run. Seattle Mariners third baseman, Kyle Seager, was with Tacoma tonight on a rehab start. The lefty went 2-for-4 at the dish with a run scored to go with an RBI. The Aces will be back at it tomorrow with Braden Shipley on the mound.
Top Performers - Reno
Kevin Cron (2-for-3, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 2 R)
Wyatt Mathisen (1-for-4, HR, RBI, R)
Tim Locastro (1-for-2, R, 3 HBP)
Top Performers - Tacoma
Shed Long (4-for-6, HR, 2 R, RBI)
Braden Bishop (2-for-4, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI)
Kyle Seager (2-for-4, R, RBI)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Friday May 17 Tacoma Rainiers RHP Braden Shipley vs. LHP Justus Sheffield 6:35 p.m. PDT KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
Whelp: Some records are meant to be broken. Some are not. Tacoma broke an Aces franchise record, hammering 23 total hits against the Aces pitching staff. Every Rainiers' starter had a hit, and scored, in tonight's contest. The 23 hits broke the previous franchise record set by the OKC Dodgers on May 17, 2012.
Do it Twice: Kevin Cron recorded his second multi-home run game of the season tonight. His first was a three-homer performance on April 25, 2019 against Fresno. In that game, Tim Locastro also had three home runs. Kevin is tied with Round Rock's Yordan Alvarez for the league-lead (17).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Chasers Outslug Dodgers 11-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- New Orleans Bats Overpower Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds' Late Push Comes up Short at San Antonio - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Get Three HR in Road W - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Friday's Salt Lake Bees Game Postponed - Salt Lake Bees
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Brendan Rodgers Promoted to Rockies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-14) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-19) at San Antonio Missions (23-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Omaha Potholes Night" Named Minor League Baseball's Promotion of the Month for April - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes vs. Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Sounds Return Home Tuesday for 13-Day, 14-Game Homestand at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Winning Again in Walk-Off Fashion - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Defeat Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers, Aces Combine for 31 Hits in Slugfest at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Rattle off Season-Highs in Runs and Hits in Blowout Victory at Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chihuahuas Quieted by Albuquerque's Strong Start - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Bats Strike for 10 Runs in Victory over El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Yordan Alvarez Shines, Fuels 10-4 Express Victory - Round Rock Express
- Flying Chanclas Walk off on Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada
- Aces Tickets On-Sale Now, Promotional Schedule Released