Dodgers Defeat Chasers 5-3
Storm Chasers first baseman Cheslor Cuthbert and center fielder Bubba Starling each smacked two hits, including a homer, however Oklahoma City left fielder Zach Reks mashed a three-run shot as part of a four-run fifth inning in the Dodgers' 5-3 win over Omaha on Thursday evening at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Cuthbert's solo smash put the Storm Chasers ahead 1-0 in the opening frame before Starling's longball in the fourth extended the advantage to 2-0. Oklahoma City, however, countered with four scores in the fifth when Reks decked his three-run blast, followed by 3B Edwin Rios ' sacrifice fly. SS Jecksson Flores dropped an RBI single to center in the sixth to narrow the deficit to one, yet the Dodgers were able to hold off Omaha's late charge.
2B Humberto Arteaga (2-4, 2B, BB) joined Cuthbert (2-5, R, HR, RBI) and Starling (2-4, 2 R, HR, RBI) in posting multi-hit efforts for the Storm Chasers, while DH Cameron Perkins (2-4, 2B) was the lone Oklahoma City batter to record two knocks. Cuthbert extended his hit streak to nine with his two hits and now owns a .294 average this season.
Dodgers starter Ben Holmes (5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K) earned his first victory of the year, with relievers Tony Cingrani (1.0 IP, 2 H, R, ER, BB, K), Kevin Quackenbush (1.0 IP, H, 2 K), Josh Sborz (1.0 IP, K) and Jamie Schultz (1.0 IP, BB, K) combining for the final four frames. Schultz notched his second save, while Omaha righty Zach Lovvorn (2.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 3 K) suffered the defeat.
The two teams are scheduled to continue their five-game series on Friday evening, with first pitch set for 7:05pm CT. LHP Foster Griffin (3-1, 3.29) is anticipated to toe the rubber for the Storm Chasers, with Oklahoma City's starter to be announced.
Following their nine-game road trip, Omaha returns to Werner Park on Tuesday, May 21 to begin a nine-game homestand. First pitch of the series opener versus the Iowa Cubs that evening is set for 6:35pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Chasers Outslug Dodgers 11-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- New Orleans Bats Overpower Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds' Late Push Comes up Short at San Antonio - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Get Three HR in Road W - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Friday's Salt Lake Bees Game Postponed - Salt Lake Bees
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Brendan Rodgers Promoted to Rockies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-14) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-19) at San Antonio Missions (23-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Omaha Potholes Night" Named Minor League Baseball's Promotion of the Month for April - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes vs. Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Sounds Return Home Tuesday for 13-Day, 14-Game Homestand at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Winning Again in Walk-Off Fashion - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Defeat Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers, Aces Combine for 31 Hits in Slugfest at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Rattle off Season-Highs in Runs and Hits in Blowout Victory at Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chihuahuas Quieted by Albuquerque's Strong Start - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Bats Strike for 10 Runs in Victory over El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Yordan Alvarez Shines, Fuels 10-4 Express Victory - Round Rock Express
- Flying Chanclas Walk off on Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.