Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds
San Antonio Missions (23-17) vs. Memphis Redbirds (21-19)
Game #41/Home Game #22
Friday, May 17, 7:05 p.m.
Nelson Wolff Stadium
MiLB.tv / KONO 860 AM
RHP Jimmy Nelson (1-0, 6.23) vs. RHP Daniel Ponce de Leon (3-1, 3.03)
Homer Hunters: After Nate Orf's second inning blast last night, San Antonio has now belted 21 home runs through 16 games during the month of May. This is on the heels of going deep 32 times in 26 games in April. The 32 dingers in April is tied for the fifth most home runs hit by a Missions team in a single month since 2005. The single-month record since 2005 is 40, which the Missions compiled in April 2011.
Never Out Of It: Last night the Missions put together another ninth inning rally for their fifth walk off victory of the season and third against Memphis. On the season San Antonio leads the PCL in ninth-inning batting average (.336), slugging percentage (.607), OPS (1.035), runs (27), RBI (23), total bases (65), doubles (T-1st, 9), and home runs (T-1st, 6).
Pinch-Hit Hager: Super utility man Jake Hager came through with yet another pinch hit last night with a ninth-inning single. He is 4-for-5 with 3 runs, a triple, a home run, and 4 RBI as a pinch-hitter. From the seventh inning on Hager is batting .375 (12-for-32) with 8 runs, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, and 6 RBI.
Split Decisions: The Missions and Redbirds have been evenly matched this season as they have split the first six games against each other and five of them have been decided by one run. On April 11 Memphis doubled up the Missions 6-3. All three wins for the Missions have come via the walk off.
One for the Win: San Antonio has played in 18 one-run games this season, which is the most of any team in the Pacific Coast League. Their 10 wins in one-run games are the most on the circuit. Memphis meanwhile is 4-9 (.308) in one-run contests, which is the worst mark in the league.
Double Trouble: Tyler Saladino had a career night last night as he went 4-for-5 with 3 doubles and 3 RBI including a walk-off ground rule double. The four hits matched a career-high, which he first achieved on July 11, 2010 with short-season Bristol and his three doubles were a career-high. It was the third time this season a Missions player had a multi-double game. Saladino also tallied two doubles on April 5 at Oklahoma City and Nate Orf did so on April 21 at Nashville.
*WHAT THEY'RE SAYING*
Minor League Promos (@MiLBPromos) Don't miss your chance at this outstanding Chanclas jersey thermal mug. They're giving them away before tonight's @missionsmilb game!
San Antonio Missions Baseball (@missionsmilb) Woof! Woof! This Sunday is another Bark in the Park at The Wolff! Bring your doggo for a day at the ballpark at no additional cost. [ðï¸] bit.ly/2LCOZG1
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Chasers Outslug Dodgers 11-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- New Orleans Bats Overpower Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds' Late Push Comes up Short at San Antonio - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Get Three HR in Road W - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Friday's Salt Lake Bees Game Postponed - Salt Lake Bees
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Brendan Rodgers Promoted to Rockies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-14) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-19) at San Antonio Missions (23-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Omaha Potholes Night" Named Minor League Baseball's Promotion of the Month for April - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes vs. Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Sounds Return Home Tuesday for 13-Day, 14-Game Homestand at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Winning Again in Walk-Off Fashion - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Defeat Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers, Aces Combine for 31 Hits in Slugfest at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Rattle off Season-Highs in Runs and Hits in Blowout Victory at Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chihuahuas Quieted by Albuquerque's Strong Start - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Bats Strike for 10 Runs in Victory over El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Yordan Alvarez Shines, Fuels 10-4 Express Victory - Round Rock Express
- Flying Chanclas Walk off on Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- San Antonio Missions to Take Part in MiLB's CommUnity First Campaign
- Missions to Re-Air 2019 Home Opener as Part of #MiLBAtHomeOpener Initiative
- Preliminary Promotional Schedule Unveiled for Missions' 2020 Season
- Missions and IHeartMedia Announce 93.3 the Bull as New Flagship Station
- Unveiling a Bygone Era of Missions History