Chasers Outslug Dodgers 11-9
Omaha catcher Andrew Susac smashed a grand slam and first baseman Cheslor Cuthbert tallied four hits, including two doubles, and drove in four runs as the Storm Chasers topped the Oklahoma City Dodgers 11-9 on Friday night at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Omaha struck early with a five-run first frame highlighted by Susac's grand slam. The Dodgers rallied back however, totaling six runs over the next three innings to grab a 6-5 advantage after four frames. The Storm Chasers, though, countered right back as Cuthbert and RF Bubba Starling clubbed RBI doubles in the fifth to put Omaha back ahead 7-6. That margin would then be extended to five in the subsequent frame courtesy of two-run doubles by SS Erick Mejia and Cuthbert.
Dodgers LF Zach Reks tightened the deficit to four with solo shot in the last of the sixth, while 2B Drew Jackson and SS Daniel Castro smacked run-scoring singles in the seventh, narrowing Omaha's lead to 11-9. That score would remain the same, however, with Storm Chasers reliever Kevin McCarthy firing the final two frames to shut the door on the Dodgers.
Cuthbert (4-5, 2 R, 2 2B, 4 RBI) posted a game-high four knocks, with Mejia (3-5, 3 R, 2B, 2 RBI), Starling (2-5, R, 2B, RBI) and SS Humberto Arteaga (2-5, R) adding multi-hit efforts. Oklahoma City RF Cameron Perkins (3-5, 2 R, RBI) and Jackson (2-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI) recorded three and two hits in the contest, respectively. Cuthbert extended his hit streak to ten games and has also tallied at least one extra-base hit in each of his last six matchups.
In addition to McCarthy (2.0 IP, BB, K) receiving his team-best third save, Omaha starter Foster Griffin (5.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K) earned his team-leading fourth victory. Dodgers starter Mitchell White (4.2 IP, 8 H, 7 R, 7 ER, BB, K) suffered the defeat in his Triple-A debut.
Omaha and Oklahoma City continue their five-game series on Saturday night, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm CT. The Storm Chasers are anticipated to send RHP Scott Blewett (2-3, 6.95) to the hill, while the Dodgers are slated to give the ball to RHP Dennis Santana (0-2, 5.17).
Following their nine-game road trip, Omaha returns to Werner Park on Tuesday, May 21 to begin a nine-game homestand. First pitch of the series opener versus the Iowa Cubs that evening is set for 6:35pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Chasers Outslug Dodgers 11-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- New Orleans Bats Overpower Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds' Late Push Comes up Short at San Antonio - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Get Three HR in Road W - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Friday's Salt Lake Bees Game Postponed - Salt Lake Bees
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Brendan Rodgers Promoted to Rockies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-14) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-19) at San Antonio Missions (23-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Omaha Potholes Night" Named Minor League Baseball's Promotion of the Month for April - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes vs. Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Sounds Return Home Tuesday for 13-Day, 14-Game Homestand at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Winning Again in Walk-Off Fashion - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Defeat Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers, Aces Combine for 31 Hits in Slugfest at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Rattle off Season-Highs in Runs and Hits in Blowout Victory at Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chihuahuas Quieted by Albuquerque's Strong Start - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Bats Strike for 10 Runs in Victory over El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Yordan Alvarez Shines, Fuels 10-4 Express Victory - Round Rock Express
- Flying Chanclas Walk off on Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.