Rays Fall Short to Growlers in Overtime
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Zach O'Brien's wrist shot 59 seconds into overtime gave the Newfoundland Growlers (26-18-4-0) a 3-2 win over the South Carolina Stingrays (25-18-5-0) on Friday night at the North Charleston Coliseum.
Forwards Patrick Gaul and Tad Kozun scored in the loss for the Stingrays, who picked up one point and continue to hold second place in the ECHL's South Division with 55 points on the season. Goaltender Parker Milner made his eighth straight start for South Carolina and turned aside 34 saves to keep his team in the contest before allowing the overtime winner.
Gaul got the scoring started at 9:19 of the first period when he grabbed his own rebound off a shot from the high slot and put it into the net for his eighth tally of the season. Assists on the play to make it 1-0 Rays, went to defenseman Mike Chen, who dropped the puck off to Gaul, as well as forward Josh Gratton.
Brady Ferguson tied the game for Newfoundland at 15:42 of the first, evening the game at 1-1 with a drive to the front of the Stingrays net.
Then at the start of the second, just after an SC power play opportunity had expired, Tad Kozun scored his 13th goal of the year to re-take the lead for the home team at 1:14 of the middle period. Forward Christian Horn found Kozun wide open at the top of the Growlers' crease for the strike, which also had a second assist from forward Matt Pohlkamp.
Newfoundland defenseman James Melindy made it 2-2 for the Growlers at 3:40 of the second with his third goal of the year.
The teams stayed even at two goals apiece for the remainder of the second and third periods and the contest headed into overtime where O'Brien ended things with his 20th goal of the season.
Growlers' goaltender Michael Garteig earned the win with 28 saves in the team's victory as Newfoundland had the edge in shots on goal, 37-30. Both clubs came up empty on the power play and finished 0-for-3 on the man-advantage.
The Stingrays host the Jacksonville Icemen for Pucks and Paws Night on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. at the North Charleston Coliseum. SC closes the home weekend on Sunday afternoon against Atlanta at 3:05. Tickets are on sale now!
To bring your group to the game, call the Stingrays Front Office at 843-744-2248! For single game tickets, visit ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 15, 2019
- Oilers Score Four-Straight to Skate Past Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Earn a Road Point But Lose to Utah in OT, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- 'Blades Reign Supreme over Monarchs in 6-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in 6-2 Road Win in Allen - Worcester Railers HC
- Glotov's Highlight-Reel Goal Lifts Flying Pigs to Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Slowed by Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Use Five First-Period Goals to Blast Komets 8-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Fall Short to Growlers in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Fall in the Swamp, 6-3, against the Everblades - Manchester Monarchs
- Bitzer's First Pro Shutout Gets Atlanta Back in the Win Column with 3-0 Thumping of Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Growlers Take It in OT in South Carolina - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Rally to Edge Admirals 4-3 in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- McNicholas Caps Three Point Night with OT Winner in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- Butcher's Second Goal Bests Brampton in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Matt Finn Loaned to AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 15 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Thunder Deals for Fioretti from South Carolina - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Acquire Beaudry in Trade with Wichita - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears Ink Jackson Playfair - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 15, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Everblades Host Manchester in Just Sixth All-Time Matchup - Florida Everblades
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 15 - Wheeling Nailers
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled from Loan to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.