Butcher's Second Goal Bests Brampton in Overtime
WHEELING, WV - The Wheeling Nailers and Brampton Beast exchanged two-goal leads, and needed overtime to decide Friday's match at WesBanco Arena. At the 1:25 mark of overtime, Wheeling's Alec Butcher sent the fans home happy with an open shot in the slot, as the Nailers were victorious, 5-4. Cedric Lacroix also had two goals in the win.
Brampton got off to a quick start, netting a pair of goals in a span of 1:20. First up was David Vallorani, who bettered his chances by skating into the left circle, before snapping a wrist shot into the top-left corner of the net. Artur Tianulin followed, taking a return feed from Jackson Leef, then waltzing into the low slot, where he stickhandled around for the tally.
The Nailers rebounded with a strong second period, as they rallied to tie the score. At the 5:31 mark, Dane Birks rushed down the right side, getting past a defender, before twisting a pass through the slot for Renars Krastenbergs, who found the twine from the left circle. With 2:56 remaining, Cedric Lacroix battled his way to the front of the net, where he fished a rebound free, stashing it underneath Etienne Marcoux for the equalizer during a two-man advantage.
Both teams opened up with more offense in the third period. Wheeling broke the initial deadlock at the 1:21 mark, when Zac Lynch floated a pass ahead to Alec Butcher, who tapped in his own rebound. Cedric Lacroix increased the lead, when he roofed a centering pass from Wiston Day Chief, who was playing in his 300th professional game. The Beast battled back to force extra hockey, as Artur Tianulin converted on a breakaway, then Nathan Todd swatted in the rebound of Matt Petgrave's shot with 8.6 left on the clock.
Overtime needed one shot to be decided. Lynch twisted the puck off the left wall to a wide open Butcher in front, who waited, then slipped his shot under Marcoux's left pad for the 5-4 Nailers victory.
Jordan Ruby earned the win against his former team, denying 24 of the 28 shots he faced. Etienne Marcoux took the overtime loss, making 25 saves on 30 shots.
The Nailers and Beast will meet up again on Saturday at 7:05 for Country Roads. The first 2,000 fans will receive a Mason Jar, fans can meet the WVU Mountaineer, there will be mechanical bull riding and tailgating activities in the main concourse, the Nailers will wear special warmup jerseys, and more. Tickets are available for just $12, and proceeds from the night will benefit WVU Medicine Children's Hospital. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, flex plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
Images from this story
Alec Butcher of the Wheeling Nailers scores his game-winning goal against the Brampton Beast
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 15, 2019
- Oilers Score Four-Straight to Skate Past Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Earn a Road Point But Lose to Utah in OT, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- 'Blades Reign Supreme over Monarchs in 6-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in 6-2 Road Win in Allen - Worcester Railers HC
- Glotov's Highlight-Reel Goal Lifts Flying Pigs to Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Slowed by Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Use Five First-Period Goals to Blast Komets 8-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Fall Short to Growlers in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Fall in the Swamp, 6-3, against the Everblades - Manchester Monarchs
- Bitzer's First Pro Shutout Gets Atlanta Back in the Win Column with 3-0 Thumping of Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Growlers Take It in OT in South Carolina - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Rally to Edge Admirals 4-3 in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- McNicholas Caps Three Point Night with OT Winner in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- Butcher's Second Goal Bests Brampton in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Matt Finn Loaned to AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 15 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Thunder Deals for Fioretti from South Carolina - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Acquire Beaudry in Trade with Wichita - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears Ink Jackson Playfair - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 15, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Everblades Host Manchester in Just Sixth All-Time Matchup - Florida Everblades
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 15 - Wheeling Nailers
- Goaltender Evan Cormier Recalled from Loan to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.