Rangers Acquire Forward Julien Gauthier
NEW YORK - The New York Rangers announced today that the team has acquired forward Julien Gauthier from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Joey Keane.
Gauthier, 22, has skated in 44 games with the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL) this season, registering 26 goals and 11 assists for 37 points, along with 34 penalty minutes. He ranks fourth in the AHL in goals in 2019-20. In addition, Gauthier leads the Checkers in goals, power play goals (eight), and shots on goal (126), and is tied for third on the team in points this season. Gauthier has recorded at least one goal in 22 of the 44 AHL games he has played thus far in 2019-20. He has also skated in five NHL games with the Hurricanes this season, registering one assist and a plus-two rating. Gauthier made his NHL debut on Oct. 11, 2019 against the NY Islanders, and he tallied his first career NHL assist/point on Dec. 14, 2019 at Calgary.
The 6-4, 227-pounder has skated in 184 career AHL games over three seasons (2017-18 - 2019-20), all with Charlotte, registering 69 goals and 34 assists for 103 points, along with 115 penalty minutes. Gauthier ranks fourth in the AHL in goals over the last two seasons (53), and he established AHL career-highs in games played (75), goals (27), assists (14), and points (41) in 2018-19. Gauthier also helped Charlotte win the Calder Cup as AHL Champions in 2018-19, as he tallied eight points (five goals, three assists) and posted a plus-seven rating in 17 playoff games.
Gauthier played four seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) prior to beginning his professional career (2013-14 - 2016-17), and he registered 211 points (105 goals, 106 assists) in 227 games with Val-d'Or and Saint John. He helped his team win the QMJHL Championship twice in his junior career (2013-14 with Val-d'Or and 2016-17 with Saint John). Gauthier tallied 17 points (11 goals, six assists) in 16 games during the 2017 QMJHL Playoffs with Saint John, and he also recorded six points (two goals, four assists) in four games during the 2017 Memorial Cup.
A native of Pointe-aux-Trembles, Quebec, Gauthier has represented Canada in several tournaments. Most recently, he helped Canada earn a silver medal at the 2017 IIHF World Junior Championship, recording seven points (five goals, two assists) in seven games during the tournament.
Gauthier was selected by Carolina in the first round, 21st overall, in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.
Keane has skated in 49 games with the Wolf Pack this season, registering eight goals and 22 assists for 30 points, along with 32 penalty minutes. He was selected by the Rangers in the third round, 88th overall, of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 18, 2020
- Roadrunners Weekly: February 18 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sens to Welcome Smyth as Part of History of AHL Night - Belleville Senators
- Condors Home for Two Huge Crowds this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolves Add Glass, Whitecloud - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Recall Scarfo, Reassign Hawkins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: February 18, 2020 - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Looks to Hold Top Spot Amid Divisional Play - Hershey Bears
- Russell Dickerson to Perform Post-Game Saturday Night - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sens to Welcome Smith as Part of History of AHL Night - Belleville Senators
- Coyotes Recall Aaron Ness from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Weekly: Penguins Steady in Playoff Hunt as Three-In-Three Approaches - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Donate Life Awareness Night February 28 - Syracuse Crunch
- 'Canes Acquire Keane from Rangers - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Finish Illinois Road Trip, Host San Antonio - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rangers Acquire Forward Julien Gauthier - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Florida Panthers Recall Aleksi Saarela from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Kaut from Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Tucson Concludes Gem Show Road Trip In San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Win Second-Straight, Down Tucson 6-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Wolf Pack Stories
- Steven Fogarty Named Hartford Wolf Pack's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Alex Whelan
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Austin Rueschhoff
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Defenseman K'Andre Miller
- Streaming Providence Downs Pack, 3-1