'Canes Acquire Keane from Rangers
RALEIGH, NC - Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired defenseman Joey Keane from the New York Rangers in exchange for forward Julien Gauthier.
Keane, 20, has registered 30 points (8g, 22a) in 49 AHL games with Hartford this season. Among all rookie AHL defensemen, he ranks first in goals, fourth in points and tied for fourth in assists. The 6'0", 187-pound blueliner was selected to the 2020 AHL All-Star Challenge, representing the Atlantic Division. The Chicago, Ill., native posted 102 points (21g, 81a) in 195 career OHL games with Barrie and London from 2016-19. Keane was drafted by the Rangers in the third round, 88th overall, of the 2018 NHL Draft.
Gauthier, 22, posted one assist in five NHL games with Carolina this season, making his NHL debut on Oct. 11 against the New York Islanders. The 6'4", 226-pound forward registered 103 points (69g, 34a) in 184 career AHL games with Charlotte and tallied eight points (5g, 3a) during the 2019 AHL Playoffs as the Checkers won their first-ever Calder Cup Championship. The Pointe-aux-Trembles, Que., native was drafted by the Hurricanes in the first round, 21st overall, of the 2016 NHL Draft.
The Hurricanes host the Arizona Coyotes at PNC Arena on Friday at 7:30 p.m. For information about Hurricanes ticket packages, please visit www.CarolinaHurricanes.com/tickets, or call 1-866-NHL-CANES (1-866-645-2263).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 18, 2020
- Roadrunners Weekly: February 18 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sens to Welcome Smyth as Part of History of AHL Night - Belleville Senators
- Condors Home for Two Huge Crowds this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolves Add Glass, Whitecloud - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Recall Scarfo, Reassign Hawkins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: February 18, 2020 - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Looks to Hold Top Spot Amid Divisional Play - Hershey Bears
- Russell Dickerson to Perform Post-Game Saturday Night - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sens to Welcome Smith as Part of History of AHL Night - Belleville Senators
- Coyotes Recall Aaron Ness from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Weekly: Penguins Steady in Playoff Hunt as Three-In-Three Approaches - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Donate Life Awareness Night February 28 - Syracuse Crunch
- 'Canes Acquire Keane from Rangers - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Finish Illinois Road Trip, Host San Antonio - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rangers Acquire Forward Julien Gauthier - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Florida Panthers Recall Aleksi Saarela from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Kaut from Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Tucson Concludes Gem Show Road Trip In San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Win Second-Straight, Down Tucson 6-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.