Rainiers Blanked by Fresno in Fourth of July Series Opener
Fresno, CA - Tacoma right-hander Andrew Moore allowed two runs across six strong innings on Independence Day at Chukchansi Park, but the Fresno Grizzlies shut out the Rainiers in Thursday's series opener, 3-0.
Moore (0-1) got through four scoreless innings before Fresno (45-42) scored the game's first two runs in the fifth.
Righty Collin Kober relieved Moore to begin the seventh inning and rolled a double play to get through a scoreless frame in his Triple-A debut. Kober was transferred to Tacoma (41-46) from Advanced-A Modesto before Thursday's game.
Grizzlies starter Kyle McGowin (7-2) pitched the first seven innings, holding Tacoma to five hits and a walk. Jaycob Brugman had two of the five knocks against McGowin, doubling and reaching on a single.
Ian Miller, Jordan Pacheco and Chris Mariscal all singled for the other three Rainiers hits.
Tacoma and Fresno will continue their four-game series on Friday at 7:05 p.m. PDT. Lefty Sean Nolin (2-0, 3.20) will get the nod for the Rainiers at Chukchansi Park. Mike Curto will have full coverage of on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com and WeRTacoma.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), Instagram (tacomarainiers) or liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Kelby Tomlinson of the Tacoma Rainiers
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 5, 2019
- Allen's Second Homer Lifts Chihuahuas in 11 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chasers Silence Sounds 1-0 in Front of 9,023 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- El Paso Wins in Extras - Salt Lake Bees
- Sounds' Offense Quiet Again in Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators Soar to Victory with 16-3 Win over Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Happ Homers Twice, Iowa Completes Comeback - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Power Their Way to Victory - San Antonio Missions
- San Antonio Turns Tables on Baby Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Falter Late at Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers Sweep Friday Doubleheader - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dodgers Shut Down Express in Doubleheader Sweep - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes First Baseman Roberto Ramos Added to PCL All-Star Roster, Home Run Derby - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (38-48) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (39-48) - Nashville Sounds
- Knizner Added to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Taking the All-Star Stage - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (35-52) at Iowa Cubs (50-37) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 5, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Blanked by Fresno in Fourth of July Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Grizzlies Draw Largest Crowd of 2019 (13,466) for July 4 Win - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats forge comeback but fall late to Aces - Sacramento River Cats
- Hot Start Lifts Bees - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Offense Provides Fireworks for Sold-Out Crowd - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Rainiers Among Minor League Baseball's Top-25 in Merchandise Sales for Fifth-Straight Year
- Rainiers Giving Tacoma a Taste of Baseball with "Cheneyville Grab N' Go" Drive-Thru
- Seattle Mariners to Utilize Cheney Stadium for "Taxi Squad" Practices, Simulated Games Beginning July 27
- Tacoma Rainiers Statement Regarding Cancelation of 2020 Minor League Baseball Season
- Tacoma Rainiers Hosting Virtual Watch Party for Annual 3rd of July Fireworks Show